St. Laurence High School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|St. Laurence High School|
5556 West 77th Street|
Burbank, Illinois 60459
|Motto||Where Leadership Begins|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Sister school||Queen of Peace|
|Oversight||Archdiocese of Chicago|
|President||Joseph A. Martinez|
|Average class size||24|
|Campus size||23 acres (93,000 m2)|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold|
|Fight song||Viking Fight Song|
|Athletics conference||Chicago Catholic League|
|Mascot||Igor the Viking|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Publication||Gladsheim (literary magazine)|
|Affiliation||Congregation of Christian Brothers|
St. Laurence High School is a coeducational, STEM-based high school, founded in 1961. Located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago, the school is conducted by the Congregation of Christian Brothers and is named for the Irish Saint Laurence O'Toole. It is located in the southwest Chicago suburb of Burbank, Illinois, adjacent to Queen of Peace High School, a private, all-female Catholic high school. St. Laurence will turn Co-ed in 2018 due to the closing of Queen of Peace High School. 
Due to construction delays on the Queen of Peace High School building, Queen of Peace High School classes were held in the D and E-Wings of the St. Laurence building for one school year while construction on Queen of Peace High School was completed.
Historic reminder: that first year the urinals in the girls' wing were covered by boxes, at the request of the sisters; the anchors and bolt holes are still visible.
Classes are divided into three levels: B Track, A Track, and Honors. The majority of the students are in A Track classes. The students enrolled in the Honors level are given additional schoolwork and an extra 0.5 added to their GPA. A 2005/06 Helm article complained that the differences between the A Track and Honors track are growing and that students believe that it wasn't fair that you can get all "A"s in an A Track class and have a 4.0 GPA, whereas all "B"s in an Honors class would only yield a 3.5 GPA. There continues to be a discussion over these issues.
At the start of the 2013 school year, St. Laurence became a STEM school. For STL, STEM is inclusive of spirituality and leadership along with science, technology, English, and math. STL intends that the STEM format will become a new learning development for 21st century learners.
St. Laurence sponsors interscholastic teams in baseball, basketball, bowling, cross country, football, golf, soccer, tennis, lacrosse, track and field, volleyball, and wrestling, which compete in IHSA sponsored state championship tournaments. The school also sponsors an ice hockey team.
The following teams have finished in the top four at the IHSA state tournament in their respective class.
- Baseball: 3rd place (1992–93 (2016-17)
- Basketball: 4th place (1976–77)
- Football: Champions (1976–77); Runner-Up (1979–80)
- Wrestling: Champions (1989–90)
The ice hockey team finished second in state in 1981, and reached the state Elite 8 in 1999. The now-defunct water polo team finished third in state in 1986 and won a state championship in 1987.
In 2004 the Varsity Hockey team won the AHAI White Division State Championship.
- Brent Bowers: MLB player (Baltimore Orioles)
- Kevin Bracken competed for the United States in Greco-Roman wrestling at the 2000 Summer Olympics.
- Jim Dwyer: Major League outfielder and member of the 1983 World Series champion Baltimore Orioles
- Tim Grunhard: a All-Pro NFL center with the Kansas City Chiefs
- Col. James Hickey: one of the men involved in the capture of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein in December 2003
- Bishop Daniel Robert Jenky, CSC: Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Peoria; rector of the Basilica of the Sacred Heart, Indiana, at Notre Dame University; chaplain of Notre Dame's last football team to win a national championship
- Paul Ladewski; San Francisco Examiner sports columnist, Daily Southtown award-winning sportswriter, and Chicago Baseball Museum executive director
- Kevin J. O'Connor: film and TV actor (The Mummy, Van Helsing, Steel Magnolias, Color of Night, There Will Be Blood)
- Stan Smagala: NFL Safety with the Dallas Cowboys
- Jeff Vintar: screenwriter (I, Robot)
- John Tumpane: 2001 graduate and Major League Baseball umpire
- NCA-CASI. "AdvanceEd-NCA Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on 2009-05-24. Retrieved 2009-05-23.
- "All-Boys' St. Laurence High School Announces Plans to Go Co-Ed". patch.com. 14 February 2017. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- "St. Laurence HS Athletics; accessed 7 March 2009". stlaurence.com. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- "Page Not Found". www.ihsa.org. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- "Coaches". Top Gun Wrestling Club. 2007-03-28. Retrieved 2007-11-03.