St. Margaret of Cortona's Church (Bronx, New York)
|The Church of St. Margaret of Cortona|
|Town or city||Riverdale-on-Hudson, The Bronx, New York City, New York|
|Construction started||1890 (for first church)|
|Completed||1891 (for first church)|
|Client||Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York|
St. Margaret of Cortona's Church is a parish church under the authority of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 6000 Riverdale Avenue, Riverdale-on-Hudson, The Bronx, New York City, New York.
Prior to 1887, Catholics in the Riverdale section of the Bronx attended either St. John's in Kingsbridge or St. Mary's in Yonkers. The parish was established in 1887 by the Rev. James F. Kiley, with initial services being held in St. Vincent's Free School (now Le Gras Hall on the Campus of Mount Saint Vincent College). The first permanent church was erected on the Southeast corner of Riverdale Avenue and West 260th Street and dedicated August 16, 1891 by Archbishop Corrigan. Fr. Kiely was succeeded as pastor by the Rev. Michael J. Murray, who also attended to the Visitation Convent chapel in the parish.
St. Margaret's Parish School
In 1875 the Sisters of Charity opened St. Vincent's Free School on the grounds of Mount St. Vincent for the children of the Irish poor, who worked as domestics on the numerous estates that populated Riverdale at the time.
In 1910 Fr. Murray built a school, called Lavelle Hall, but because of financial restraints, could not open it when built. Instead it was leased to the New York City School system in September 1915. When the building of P.S. 81 was completed in 1926, then pastor, Rev. Thomas J. Doyle opened the parish school in September 1926. In 1915, the congregation numbered "464 men, women and children."
- Rev. James F. Kiley (1890-1905), "founder and first rector"
- Rev. Michael J. Murray (1905-1919), assisted by the Rev. Edward J. Holden
- Rev. James Aylward (1919-1925)
- Rev. Joseph Doyle, (Later Monsignor Doyle) (1925-1962)
- Rev. Kilcoyne (late 1950's)
- Monsignor William Foley, -2008
- Rev. Brian McCarthy, 2008 -
- Remigius Lafort, S.T.D., Censor, The Catholic Church in the United States of America: Undertaken to Celebrate the Golden Jubilee of His Holiness, Pope Pius X. Volume 3: The Province of Baltimore and the Province of New York, Section 1: Comprising the Archdiocese of New York and the Diocese of Brooklyn, Buffalo and Ogdensburg.. (New York City: The Catholic Editing Company, 1914), p.388.
- "History of St Margaret's School", St. Margaret of Cortona School
- DosSantos, Juliann. "Charity Begins at Home for St. Margaret of Cortona Parish", Catholic New York, December 12, 2012
- Timothy Cardinal Dolan. "Decree on the Merger of St. Margaret of Cortona, Bronx, NY and the Parish of St. Gabriel, Bronx, NY", November 2, 2014
History of St. Margaret of Cortona parish, researched and written by Kevin T. O'Reilly on the occasion of the 100th Anniversary of the parish