St. Martin's Episcopal Church (Showell, Maryland)
St. Martins Church
|Nearest city||Showell, Maryland|
|Architectural style||No Style Listed|
|NRHP Reference #||77000707|
|Added to NRHP||April 13, 1977|
St. Martin’s Episcopal Church is a historic Episcopal church located on Route 113 at the intersection with Route 589 in Showell, Worcester County, Maryland. Much of the original Flemish bond brick structure is retained. Built as the first parish church of Worcester Parish, which had been established in 1753, it was started in 1756 and completed in 1759. Attendance dwindled after St. Paul's Episcopal Church was established in nearby Berlin in 1824, and by the end of the century the facility was used only sporadically.
By the 1970s the facility was in serious disrepair. The St. Martins's Church Foundation was established in 1993 to organize its restoration, and now operates the building as St. Martin’s Episcopal Church Museum. The museum accurately preserves the original interior.
- Staff (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Maryland Historical Trust". St. Martin's Church, Worcester County. Maryland Historical Trust. 2008-11-21.
- Historic St. Martin's Church, St. Martins's Church Foundation, retrieved 2011-11-13
- The Museums of Worcester County brochure, circa 2005.
- Ocean City Vacation and Hotels Guide. "St. Martin’s Episcopal Church Museum", Ocean City Vacation and Hotels Guide website, 2007. Retrieved on January 17, 2008.
- Historic St. Martin's Church Foundation
- St. Martin's Church, Worcester County, including photo from 1999, at Maryland Historical Trust
- Museums of Worcester County: St. Martin's Episcopal Church
- St. Martin’s Episcopal Church Museum (Ocean City Vacation and Hotels Guide website)
- Brief history of St. Martin's Episcopal Church