St Martin’s Catholic Voluntary Academy
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Chair of Governors||John McGlynn|
|Houses||Stuart, Newman, More, Knox, Catherine and Theresa|
Saint Martin's Catholic Academy (formerly Saint Martin's Catholic High School) is a coeducational 11-16 secondary school with academy status, located in Stoke Golding, near to Hinckley, Leicestershire, England. It is part of the Diocese of Nottingham, and is built on the same grounds as the former Dominican nunnery.
Saint Martin's was originally established in 1948 by the Dominican Sisters of St Catherine of Siena based in King William's Town, South Africa as an independent girl's school, Blessed Martin in the Fields at Stoke Lodge, Stoke Golding. This branch of the Dominican order was originally founded in 1877 by a group of women from Augsburg in Germany. Although now a state funded Catholic academy, the school grounds and buildings are still owned by the Dominicans.
The site of Stoke Lodge convent was adjacent to the current school site. The current school building was constructed in 1963. Due to poor condition of the old Lodge, it was demolished in 1971 and the convent was rebuilt. The convent chapel was dedicated to The Holy Spirit and St Martin. The convent finally closed in 2011 and the land sold for housing.
The current school site, nevertheless, still retains a significant area of the former grounds of the Lodge, many of the old and ancient trees on the site give evidence to its former landscape.
The school itself is named after Saint Martín de Porres, a Dominican saint from Lima in Peru.
Senior Leadership Team
- Principal: Mr. C. Wright M.A.
- Vice-Principal: Mrs L Lynch-Kelly B.A.(Hons) i/c Teaching & learning
- Assistant Principal i/c Learning & Progress at KS4: MR P Murphy B.A.(Hons)
- Assistant Principal i/c Learning & Progress at KS3: MR D Carton B.A.
- Assistant Principal i/c Tracking & Intervention: MR D Dixon M.A.
- Assistant Principal (Secondment) i/c Timetabling & Curriculum Design: MR S Myles B.Sc.(Hons)
- Strategic Business Manager: Mrs L.Lester B.A.(Hons)