St. Mary's Cathedral Basilica, Ernakulam
|St. Mary's Cathedral Basilica
സെന്റ് മേരീസ് കത്തീഡ്രൽ ബസിലിക്ക
|St. Mary's Syro-Malabar Catholic Cathedral Basilica, Ernakulam|
Front of the Basilica
|Location||, Ernakulam, Kerala|
|Denomination||Syro Malabar Catholic|
|Cult(s) present||Seat of the Director of the See of St. Thomas|
|Associated people||Saint Thomas Christians|
The St. Mary's Cathedral Basilica (സെന്റ് മേരീസ് കത്തീഡ്രൽ ബസിലിക്ക) also St. Mary's Syro-Malabar Catholic Cathedral Basilica, is a cathedral in Kerala, India. The cathedral was founded in 1112, and is also known by the names Nasrani Palli, Anchukaimal Palli or Thekke Palli. The church is the headquarters of the Major Archeparchy of Ernakulam-Angamaly (Archieparchia Ernakulamensis-Angamaliensis), which is the Episcopal See of the Syro-Malabar Church.
The large, tall and spacious cathedral has an altar that was used by pope John Paul II, when he visited India during 7 February 1986. The altar depicts the birth, the crucifixion and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. The two 68-foot tall towers in the front have statues of St Peter and St Paul on top, and the bell tower (88 feet high) has St. Thomas statue on top. There is also a depiction of Jesus's apparition to St Thomas.
Belfry of the cathedral
- Kottakkavu Mar Thoma Syro-Malabar Pilgrim Church, North Paravur
- Mar Hormiz Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Angamaly
- St. George Syro-Malabar Catholic Forane Church, Edappally
- List of cathedrals in India
- "St. Mary's Cathedral Basilica, Ernakulam, Kerala, India (Syro-Malabar)". www.gcatholic.org. Retrieved 2016-11-23.
- Varghese, Theresa (2006-01-01). Stark World Kerala. Stark World Pub. ISBN 9788190250511.
- The Catholic Directory of India. St. Paul Publications. 2005-01-01.
- "Ernakulam St. Mary's Cathedral Basilica 9th Centenary" (in Malayalam). Deepika. 29 December 2012.
- Archdiocese of Ernakulam Angamaly - Historical Places
- St. Mary's Cathedral, Ernakulam
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St. Mary's Syro-Malabar Catholic Cathedral Basilica, Ernakulam.|