St. Mary's School, Mumbai
|St. Mary's School I.C.S.E., Mumbai|
|Nesbit Road, Mazgaon
Mumbai – 400010
|Type||Private school - secondary level|
|Administrator||Fr. Leslie Rebello, S.J|
|Principal||Fr. Francis Swamy|
|Grades||Junior Preparatory to Class 10|
|Houses||Tagore (green), Shivaji (red), Gandhi (white), Ashoka (blue)|
|Colour(s)||BlueGreen Red White|
|Sports||Cricket, football, basketball, table tennis, badminton, athletics, aerobics|
|Publication||The School Tie Magazine|
St. Mary's School I.C.S.E is a Jesuit secondary school located on Nesbit Road, Mazagaon, in the city of Mumbai, India. The school is affiliated with Bombay's Church of St. Anne, which is adjacent to the school.
St. Mary's is an Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE) affiliate. Having been founded in the year 1864, it is also amongst the oldest, continually running, private schools in India. The School is therefore one of the most established institutions of preference for education and holistic development for children in the city.
St. Mary's School I.C.S.E was founded in 1864 by members of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits), a Roman Catholic religious order founded by St. Ignatius of Loyola in 1540. It lies adjacent to St. Anne's Church which was established in 1860. The school began as a Catholic school of education and a military orphanage. Later it opened to the Catholic populace in general, which meant it had to expand. This led to the construction of the building that now houses the senior school, whose foundation stone was laid by Lord Linlithgow, the Viceroy of India from 1936 to 1943.
It used to confer the degree/diploma of a Cambridge University O level of education, and now confers the ICSE (Indian Certificate of Secondary Education) diploma. The school has four Gothic-style buildings and is divided into Senior School (grades 5 and above) and Junior School (grades 4 and below).
It is rated as one of the top schools of the country. Students are encouraged in the arts and many amongst the school's alumni have flourished in theatre, music, and Bollywood.
- 1991–1995: Fr. Joe Saldanha, S.J. (late)
- 1995: Fr. Joe Diabrio
- 1995-2009: Fr. Evarist Newnes, S.J.
- 2009–2011: Alice Carvalho (1st lady Principal)
- 2011-2015: Dr. Fr. Kenneth Misquitta, S.J.
- 2015–current: Dr. Fr. Francis Swamy, S.J
- Zubin Mehta – orchestral conductor
- Boman Irani – theatre and Bollywood actor
- Arjun Mathur – Bollywood actor
- Sooraj Barjatya – Hindi film director
- Kunal Vijaykar – actor and director
- Freddie Mercury – singer, songwriter and lead vocalist of the band, "Queen"
- Homi K. Bhabha – professor at Harvard University
- Dom Moraes – writer and poet
- Ritam Chowdhury - Physician - Epidemiologist - Biostatistician, Writer and Poet, Harvard faculty
- Vijay Mohanraj – Ranji Trophy cricketer for Mumbai
- Shishir Hattangadi – Bombay cricket captain
- Rehan Poncha – Olympic swimmer
- Tehemton Erach Udwadia – gastroenterologist
- Ritam Chowdhury - Physician - Epidemiologist - Biostatistician, writer and poet, Harvard Faculty
- Top Ten
- "St Mary's conquer Don Bosco". Indian Express. September 29, 1998.
- "India's Best Day Schools" (PDF). EducationWorld.
- "Four Runners profile". Four Runners Healthcare. 2015. Retrieved December 10, 2015.
- "Dr. Tehemton Erach Udwadia (Mumbai)". Indian Med Guru. 2015. Retrieved December 10, 2015.