St. Mary's Syro-Malabar Catholic Forane Church, Champakulam
|Kalloorkadu St. Mary's Syro-Malabar Catholic Forane Church (Valia Palli),
Champakulam St. Mary's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church (Kalloorkkadu Palli) / Valia Palli. This is the view from the North East side.
|Location||Champakulam, Alappuzha, Kerala, India|
|Affiliation||Syro-Malabar Catholic Church|
|Year consecrated||AD 427|
|Ecclesiastical or organizational status||Forane Church|
Champakulam Kalloorkadu St. Marys Syro-Malabar Catholic Forane Church (Malayalam: ചമ്പക്കുളം വലിയ പള്ളി) is an ancient Christian Church in Kerala. It belongs to the Syro-Malabar Church under the archeparchy of Changanacherry. It is a Forane church, with several Parishes under it.
- 1 History
- 2 Church At Glance
- 3 Holy Qurbana Timings
- 4 Annual Feasts
- 5 Religious Houses In the Parish
- 6 Other institutions under the Parish
- 7 Parish Hall
- 8 St. Mary's Theological Center
- 9 Getting there
- 10 Location (Wikimapia)
- 11 Catholic Organizations
- 12 References
- 13 External links
Champakulam Kalloorkadu St. Mary's Forane Church (also called Champakulam Valia Palli) is one of the oldest Christian churches in India and the mother church of almost all Catholic Syrian churches in Alleppey District. Believed to be established in AD 427. Rebuilt many times and the many rock inscriptions found around the church tell us about the history of the church. The open air Rock Cross at Champakulam church is one of the most ancient ones with clear documentation of its antiquity up to AD 1151. There are many archaeological artifacts found around the church about its history. Champakulam church was once under Niranam Church, which was founded by the Apostle Saint Thomas himself.. Champakulam Church had very friendly relations with the Jacobite Syrian group and had a pivotal role in many ecumenical efforts in the Eighteenth century.
- Parish : Champakulam
- Forane : Champakulam
- Diocese : Changanacherry
- Patron : St. Mary
- First Church : AD 427
- Priests : 4
- Vicar :Very Rev. Fr. Joseph Vaniyapurackal
(1): Fr. Thomas Chekonthayil (2) : Fr. Mathew Kottathil (3) : Fr.Martin Moopaseril
- Catholic Population : 6500
- Catholic Families : 1378
- Phone : 0477-2736252
Holy Qurbana Timings
- Sundays : 6.00AM, 7.30AM, 9.30AM, 4.00PM
- Other Days : 6.00AM, 7.00AM
- Wednesdays : 6.30AM, 4.00PM
Apart from general Christian Holy celebrations like Christmas, Good Friday & Easter (Holy week) etc., there are two main yearly feasts (മലയാളം: പെരുന്നാള്).
Feast of Mother Mary / Marian apparition(ദര്ശനതിരുന്നാള്)
The Feast of the Apparition lasts for 11 days of pious celebrations and concludes on the Sunday following 15 October.
Commemoration of the Death of St. Joseph (യൌസേപ്പ് പിതാവിന്റെ മരണ തിരുന്നാള്)
This is a 'shradham- Chatham' conducted in commemoration of the death of St. Joseph is held on 19 March every year. It attracts thousands of devotees to Kalloorkadu Church from far of places.
Parishes Under Champakulam Forane
- Champakulam (Kalloorkad) St. Mary’s Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2736252
- Kondackal St. Joseph’s Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2736216
- Pullangady Holy Family Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2736346
- Thekkekara St. John's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2707031
- Vadakkeamichakari St. George’s Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2707075
- Vaisyambhagam St. Antony’s Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2736501
- Chennamkary W., St. Joseph’s Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2724237
- Kandankary St. Joseph’s Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2736278
- Narbonapuram St. Sebastian’s Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2762205
- Nazareth St. Jerome's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-2762205
- Sleevapuram Syro-Malabar Catholic Church(Ponga) 0477-2762188
- Chennamkary Lourdes Matha Syro-Malabar Catholic Church 0477-
- Padaharam St.Joseph's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church
Religious Houses In the Parish
- Gagultha Ashram CMI
- SABS (The Congregation of the sisters of the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament) Convent.
- Kurialasserry Bhavan (SABS)
- Clara madhom & Orphanage for young girls, Kondakkal.
Other institutions under the Parish
- St. Mary's LP School
- St. Mary's High School
- St. Mary's Higher Secondary School Champakulam
- St. Joseph's Mission Hospital
Initially, there was a small Parish Hall with about hundred seats. A few years back, a bigger Parish Hall was constructed. The latest, inaugurated on 1.3.2011 has 800+ seats
St. Mary's Theological Center
Inaugurated in 2011.
- Road - 15 KM away from Alleppey, 18 km from Changanassery by road. From Champakulam West bus stand, the Church is immediate next on the east side. From Champakulam East bus stand, the Church is on the west side, you need to cross the River Pampa (Ferries are available).
- Water - Linked by boat service through the back waters to Alappuzha (1 hr), Kollam(8 Hrs), Changanacherry(3 hrs), Kumarakom(3 hr), Cochin(4 hrs) etc. From Champakulam main (Karuka) boat jetty (on the west side of River Pampa, the Church is only a few steps away - towards North.
- Rail - Nearest Rail heads: Alleppey, Changanassery.
- Air - Nearest International Airports : Kochi (Nedumbassery) - 85 km. Thiruvananthapuram - 150 km.
- Altar Boys
- Thirubala sakhyam
- Yuva Deepti-K.C.Y.M
- Mathru Jyothis
- Pithru Vedi
- St.Vincent De Paul Society
- Darsana Smooham
- Choir Group
- "Syrian Churches of Kerala".
- "Champakulam Kalloorkkadu St Mary’s Church- The Hidden Pearl in Nasrani History".
- "Archdiocese Of Changancherry".
- "Ancient Churches".
- "Ancient Churches with traditional dates of foundation & Stone Crosses of Kerala- Saint Thomas Cross, Nazraney Sthambams and other Persian Crosses".
- "St. Mary's Church, Kalloorkadu".
- "Church feast and festivals in Central Kerala-Kottayam".
- "Sisters of the Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament".
- "St.Mary's High School Champakulam".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St. Mary's Syro-Malabar Catholic Forane Church, Champakulam.|