St. Mary Cemetery, Pittsburgh
Saint Mary Cemetery is a Roman Catholic burial ground located at 45th and Penn Avenues in the Central Lawrenceville neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. It is adjacent (just south) of the city's slightly older and much larger Allegheny Cemetery. A chain-link fence separates the two cemeteries.
The 44-acre (180,000 m2) tract of land was established as a cemetery in 1849 at a cost of $20,000, six years after the founding of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh. As of 2008, it has 100,298 interments.
- Joseph M. Barr, Mayor of Pittsburgh (1906–1982)
- Bartley Campbell, playwright (1843–1888)
- James B. Drew, Chief Justice of Pennsylvania (1877–1953)
- Thomas Enright, soldier (1887–1917)
- Andrew Arnold Lambing, priest-historian (1842–1918)
- Bernard J. McKenna, Mayor of Pittsburgh (1842–1903)
- Thomas Meighan, early film star (1879–1936)
- Kidney, Walter C. (1997). Pittsburgh's Landmark Architecture: The Historic Buildings of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County. Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation. ISBN 0-916670-18-X.
|This article related to a building or structure in Pittsburgh is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|