St. Mary High School (Rutherford, New Jersey)
|St. Mary High School|
|64 Chestnut Street
Rutherford, NJ, Bergen County 07070
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|School district||Archdiocese of Newark|
|Asst. principal||Marcella A. Schrank|
|Pastor||Fr. Michael Kreder|
|Faculty||28.0 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||11.0:1|
Royal blue and|
|Athletics conference||North Jersey Interscholastic Conference|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Pastoral Administrator||Fr. Michael Gubernat|
|Dean of Discipline||Martin Besterci|
|Athletic Director||Matthew Stone|
St. Mary High School is a four-year Roman Catholic high school located in Rutherford, in Bergen County, New Jersey, United States, operating under the auspices of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark. The school has been accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools since 2004.
The school was established in September 1929, with instruction provided through the Sisters of St. Dominic of Caldwell, New Jersey. The school's building was dedicated and opened on November 5, 1932.
The St. Mary High School Gaels compete in the compete in the North Jersey Interscholastic Conference, which includes private and public high schools located in Bergen, Passaic, and Hudson counties, following a reorganization of sports leagues in Northern New Jersey by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). Prior to the NJSIAA's realignment that took effect in the fall of 2010, St. Mary was a member of the Bergen County Scholastic League (BCSL).
The football team won the Non-Public B North state sectional title in 1976 and 1980, and the Non-Public Group I title in 2006.
The wrestling team was recognized as the winner of the 2007 team wrestling tournament for the Non-Public, North B state sectional championship. The wrestling team moved on to win the NJSIAA 2007 team wrestling Non-Public Group B state championship, topping Bishop George Ahr High School, 53-19. This was the Gaels fourth consecutive state championship, beating St. Augustine Preparatory School in 2004, Holy Cross High School in 2005 and St. Joseph High School in 2006 in the previous three finals. The Gaels had won six consecutive Non-Public North B state sectional titles (from 2002 to 2007), three District 16 titles and three BCSL National titles.
St. Mary High School had filed a complaint against Queen of Peace High School with the NJSIAA, claiming that a new wrestling program run by former Gaels coach Scot Weaver at Queen of Peace would induce St. Mary's wrestlers to transfer schools. The NJSIAA ruled in 2007 that Queen of Peace would be restricted from competing in championships at any level of competition for two years.
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Rev. Michael Kreder, Pastor
- Tara Brunt, Principal
- Marcella A. Schrank, Assistant Principal
- Bob DeMarco (born 1938, class of 1956), football center who played 15 seasons in the National Football League for four teams.
- Wayne Johnsen (born 1977), boxer.
- Robert Leckie (1920-2001), author.
- Stan Walters (born 1948), offensive tackle who played for 12 seasons in the NFL.
- School Data for St. Mary High School, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 3, 2015.
- Saint Mary's High School, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 25, 2017.
- Schools of Saint Mary (The), Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Secondary Schools. Accessed September 6, 2011.
- Bergen County Catholic High Schools, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Newark. Accessed November 12, 2016.
- About Us, St. Mary High School. Accessed May 28, 2007.
- League & Conference Affiliations 2016-2017, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association League Memberships – 2009-2010, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association, backed up by the Internet Archive as of July 24, 2011. Accessed October 7, 2014.
- Goldberg, Jeff. NJSIAA Football Playoff Champions, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 3, 2015.
- 2007 Team Wrestling Tournament - Non-Public, North B, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed July 22, 2007.
- 2007 Team Wrestling Tournament - Group B Championship, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed May 28, 2007.
- History of The NJSIAA Team Championships, New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association. Accessed December 3, 2015.
- Kensik, Edward. "NJSIAA is looking into Saint Mary", South Bergenite, July 16, 2009. Accessed August 28, 2012. "It was only two summers ago that St. Mary was on the other side of the coin. St. Mary complained to the NJSIAA that Queen of Peace took student athletes from them when wrestling head coach Scot Weaver moved from the Rutherford school to the North Arlington school and several wrestlers went with him.The result was that Queen of Peace's brand new wrestling program received a two-year ban from any form of team championships be it league, state or county tournaments."
- Administration, St. Mary High School. Accessed December 3, 2015.
- Mills, Ed. "Where are they now? Former NFL star Bob DeMarco of Wood-Ridge", The Record (Bergen County), January 28, 2014. Accessed January 25, 2017. "Growing up in Wood-Ridge, DeMarco was a two-way lineman at St. Mary and played as a sophomore on the Gaels' unbeaten nine-win team in 1953. Following graduation from the Rutherford parochial school in 1956, DeMarco went to Indiana University before transferring to Dayton, where he received his Bachelor of Science degree in business management and economics in June 1961."
- DiLeo, Frank. "Pawel Wolak looked confident and strong from the start", Daily Record (Morristown), August 20, 2005. Accessed September 6, 2011. "Wayne Johnsen continued his destruction of light heavyweight contenders Friday. The Lyndhurst native earned his ninth career victory with a six-round unanimous decision over Dhafir Smith. The former football star at St Mary's in Rutherford was spectacular against Smith controlling the bout with his nasty right cross for the victory."
- Rohan, Virginia. "'The Pacific' miniseries unfolds through Rutherford veteran's eyes", The Record (Bergen County), March 14, 2010. Accessed September 6, 2011. "Leckie and Vera Keller lived next door to each other in Rutherford. She was friendly with one of his sisters. But Vera was three years younger than he, and she went to Rutherford High School, while he went to St. Mary's High School."
- Roberts, Jeff. "Where are they now? Stan Walters", The Record (Bergen County), November 2, 2010. Accessed January 25, 2017. "The Rutherford native and St. Mary alum had come a long way, through Bordentown Military Institute, Syracuse and then a 12-year career in the NFL."