St Mary the Virgin Church, Uttoxeter
|The Parish Church of Saint Mary the Virgin|
St Mary's from the south east
|OS grid reference|
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Dedication||St Mary the Virgin|
|Heritage designation||Grade II* listed|
|Archdeaconry||Stoke On Trent|
|Diocese||Diocese of Lichfield|
|Province||Province of Canterbury|
|Vicar(s)||Rev Margaret Sherwin, Rev Chris Brown, Rev Charles Dale, Retired Priest Barbara Crump, Rev Irene Smith, Rev John Lander, Retired Priest Anne Tarpur, Rev Joe Cant|
|Churchwarden(s)||Johnathon Marvin and Cynthia Whitmore|
St Mary the Virgin's Church, Uttoxeter, commonly called simply St Mary's, is the Church of England parish church of the town of Uttoxeter. It has a 14th-century tower and spire, the nave was rebuilt in 1828 and the chancel in 1877. It is a Grade II* listed building.
This is one of two Anglican churches in the parish; the other, also St Mary's, is commonly called "The Heath Mission Church" to avoid confusion.
The church was built in the 14th century. By 1828 it was deemed too small so the nave was rebuilt to designs by the architect James Trubshaw. In 1877 the present chancel was built. The chancel was designed by the architect Frederick Josias Robinson of Derby and the contract was Mr. Fryer, also of Derby. The chancel was lengthened by 14 feet (4.3 m) and on the south side over the vestry, a gallery was constructed for the organ, which had formerly been in the west gallery of the church. The east window was preserved and re-erected in the new chancel, along with its original stained glass. The church re-opened on 29 April 1877.
St Mary's is the main church in the Deanery of Uttoxeter. It is part of the Uttoxeter Area of parishes along with
- Christ Church, Upper Tean
- St Lawrence's Church, Bramshall
- St Mary and All Saints' Church, Checkley
- St Mary the Virgin's Church, Gratwich
- St John the Baptist's Church, Kingstone
- All Saints' Church, Leigh
- St Peter's Church, Marchington
- St John's Church, Marchington Woodlands
- St Michael and All Angels' Church, Stramshall
- Heath Mission Church, Uttoxeter
- Historic England. "Parish church of St Mary (Grade II*) (1038783)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- "Uttoxeter St Mary the Virgin, Uttoxeter". A Church Near You. The Church of England. Retrieved 21 January 2017.
- "Uttoxeter, Reopening of the Church". Derby Mercury. England. 2 May 1877. Retrieved 4 February 2017 – via British Newspaper Archive.
- "NPOR N03155". National Pipe Organ Register. British Institute of Organ Studies. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- "Uttoxeter, Staffs S Mary". Dove's Guide for Church Bell Ringers. Dovemaster. 20 December 2015. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus (1974). Staffordshire. The Buildings of England. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books. p. 290. ISBN 0-14-071046-9.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St Mary the Virgin's Church, Uttoxeter.|