St. Pauli Girl
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The brand derives its name from the fact that the original brewery, which was established in 1857 by Lüder Rutenberg, was located next to the former St. Paul's Friary in Bremen. There are currently three brands of beer brewed: St. Pauli Girl Lager, St. Pauli Girl Special Dark and St. Pauli Non-Alcoholic Malt Beverage. The beer is only produced for export and is not sold in Germany.
St Pauli Girl, like many German breweries, advertises that they brew all of their beers according to the Reinheitsgebot (German purity law) of 1516, even though they use culture yeast as an ingredient, which is not allowed by the 1516 law. The distinctive label depicting a woman wearing traditional outfits was introduced in the 19th century with the advent of the bottled beer. The local artist commissioned for the label drew his inspiration from the waitresses at the time.
St Pauli Girl's Beers were first introduced into select US markets in 1965. National Distribution began in 1975. St. Pauli Non-Alcoholic was first sold in the United States in 1991. The St Pauli Girl website claims that their beer is the number two selling German beer in the United States.
St Pauli Girl spokesmodels
Since 1982, St. Pauli Girl Beer has chosen a model to represent the beer brand nationally each year and appear on the popular St. Pauli Girl poster.
- 1977 The first year of St Pauli Girls Spokesmodel campaign
- 1984 Gail Star Smith
- 1988 Jennifer Fabello
- 1989 Jennifer Fabello
- 1990 Felice Schachter
- 1991 Katie Vogt
- 1998 Teresa Politi
- 1999 Playboy magazine's Playmate of the month January 1999 Jaime Bergman
- 2000 Playboy magazine's Playmate of the month August 1998 Angela Little
- 2001 Playboy magazine's Playmate of the month March 1994 Neriah Davis
- 2002 Playboy magazine's Playmate of the month January 1998 Heather Kozar
- 2003 Playboy magazine's Playmate of the month July 1998 Lisa Dergan
- 2004 Icelandic model and actress Berglind Icey
- 2005 Playboy magazine's Playmate of the month February 1999 Stacy Fuson
- 2006 model Brittany Evans
- 2007 model and actress Bobbi Sue Luther
- 2008 Playboy magazine's Playmate of the month January 2001 Irina Voronina
- 2009 Slovak model Katarina Van Derham
- 2010 Katarina Van Derham
- 2011 American Model/Actress Jen England
- "St. Pauli Girl: Breaking News". St. Pauli Girl Official Website.
- ABC News. "Mascots Vie to Be No. 1 Ad Icon". Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "Model Katarina Van Derham Takes Oath as 2009 St. Pauli Girl". Crown Imports. PR Newswire. 13 January 2009. Retrieved 15 January 2009.
- Hein, Kenneth (14 January 2009). "Important breaking news: A new St. Pauli Girl has been chosen!". BrandFreak.com. Retrieved 15 January 2009.