Syro-Malabar Catholic Eparchy of St. Thomas of Chicago
Eparchy of Saint Thomas the Apostle of Chicago (Syro-Malabarese)
Eparchia Sancti Thomae Apostoli Chicagiensis Syrorum-Malabarensium
|Ecclesiastical province||Eastern Catholic Eparchies Immediately Subject to the Holy See|
|(as of 2014)|
|Denomination||Syro-Malabar Catholic Church|
|Rite||East Syriac Rite|
|Established||March 13, 2001 (18 years ago)|
|Cathedral||Mar Thoma Sleeha Cathedral|
|Patron saint||Saint Thomas the Apostle|
|Pope||Mar Papa Francis|
|Major Archbishop||Mar George Cardinal Alencherry|
|Bishop||Mar Jacob Angadiath|
|Auxiliary Bishops||Mar Joy Alappat|
The St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Eparchy (Diocese) of Chicago is an Eastern Catholic eparchy (diocese) for Syro-Malabar Catholics in the United States. The eparchy (diocese) was erected by Pope John Paul II on 13 March 2001. It is one of the four eparchies (dioceses) of the Syro-Malabar Church outside India. It has jurisdiction over Syro-Malabar Catholics in the entire USA, including Knanaya Catholics in the US. The seat of the bishop is the Mar Thoma Sleeha Cathedral based in Chicago, Illinois. The first and current bishop of the eparchy (diocese) is Mar Jacob Angadiath, serving since July 2001. Mar Joy Alappat was installed as an auxiliary bishop since September 2014.
The first and current bishop of the eparchy is Mar Jacob Angadiath, appointed by Pope John Paul II in 2001. He is also the permanent Apostolic Visitator to Syro-Malabar Catholics in Canada. Pope Francis appointed Rev. Fr. Joy Alappatt, Pastor of Mar Thoma Sleeha Syro-Malabar Cathedral, Chicago as the Auxiliary Bishop of St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Diocese of Chicago on July 24, 2014.
On May 5, 2018, Kevin Mundackal of Thornwood, New York, was ordained as the first ever American-born Syro-Malabar priest. Shortly after on June 2, 2018, Rajeev Valiyaveettil Philip of Tampa, Florida, was also ordained to the priesthood.
Parishes and missions
This section does not cite any sources. (July 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The eparchy's cathedral can be found in Bellwood, Illinois. The Mar Thoma Shleeha Cathedral (Saint Thomas the Apostle Cathedral) is a parish with almost 1000 families and is seat to the bishop. Their cathedral was dedicated on July 5, 2008.
There are an estimated 87,600 Syro-Malabar Catholics following this rite in the United States. Some of the parishes and missions are dedicated to the pastoral care of faithful of the Knanaya Catholics, under the pastoral guidance of Knanaya priests. The eparchy includes 42 parishes and 32 missions. Congregations are located in the following states and provinces:
- Holy Family Syro Malabar Catholic Church, Phoenix, AZ
- St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Forane Catholic Church, Santa Ana, CA
- Syro Malabar Mission, San Francisco, CA
- St. Alphonsa Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Los Angeles, CA
- Infant Jesus Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Sacramento, CA
- Syro-Malabar Mission, Hartford, CT
- Saint Alphonsa Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Loganville, GA
- Mar Thoma Sleeha Syro-Malabar Catholic Cathedral (Bellwood, Illinois) (cathedral of the eparchy)
- St Alphonsa Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Halethorpe, MD
- St Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Boston, MA
- St Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Southfield, MI
- St. Mary's Syro-Malabar Knanaya Catholic Church, Detroit, MI
- St. Alphonsa SyroMalabar Catholic Mission, Minneapolis, MN
- Blessed Mother Teresa Syro Malabar Catholic Church, Las Vegas, NV
- New Jersey
- St. Thomas Syro Malabar Forane Catholic Church, Somerset, NJ
- Saint George Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Paterson, NJ
- St. Jude SyroMalabar Catholic Church, South Jersey, NJ
- New York
- St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Bronx, NY
- St. Mary's Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, West Hempstead, NY
- Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Rockland County, NY
- St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Mission, Westchester County, NY
- North Carolina
- St. Raphael Syro Malabar Catholic Mission, Cleveland, OH
- St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Philadelphia, PA
- St. Joseph SyroMalabar Catholic Mission, Harrisburg-Hershey, PA
- St Mother Theresa SyroMalabar Mission, Nashville, TN
- St. Alphonsa Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Austin, TX
- St. Alphonsa Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, Coppell, TX
- St. Thomas the Apostle Syro-Malabar Forane Catholic Church, Garland, TX
- St. Joseph Syro-Malabar Forane Catholic Church, Houston, TX
- St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Church, San Antonio, TX
- St. Jude Syro Malabar Catholic Mission, Northern Virginia, VA
- St. Alphonsa Syro-Malabar Catholic Mission, Richmond, VA
- Washington D.C.
- St Antony Syro-Malabar Catholic Mission, Milwaukee, WI
- Syro-Malabar Catholic Church
- List of the Catholic bishops of the United States#Other Eastern Catholic bishops
- List of the Catholic dioceses of the United States
- "Eparchy of Saint Thomas the Apostle of Chicago (Syro-Malabarese)". catholic-hierarchy.org.
- "Mar Joy Alappatt - Auxiliary Bishop - St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Diocese". www.stthomasdiocese.org. Retrieved 21 August 2018.
- Chicoine, Christie L. (August 2, 2018). "Thornwood Native Is First American-born Syro-Malabar Priest Ordained in U.S." Catholic New York. Retrieved October 22, 2019.
- "Holy Family Syro Malabar Catholic Church". Retrieved October 22, 2019.
- "Syro-Malabar Mission Hartford CT". Retrieved October 22, 2019.
- "Mar Thoma Shleeha". Mar Thoma Shleeha Cathedral. Retrieved 2014-01-09.
- "Our Lady of Health oasis of faith, tradition for Indian Catholics". AP (Lubbock Avalanche-Journal). November 27, 2004.