St. Vartan Armenian Cathedral
St. Vartan Armenian Cathedral (Armenian: Սուրբ Վարդան Մայր Տաճար) in New York City is the first cathedral of the Armenian Apostolic Church to be constructed in North America. It is located in New York City on the corner of Second Avenue and Thirty-fourth street and was built to resemble the Saint Hripsime Church in Etchmiadzin (Vagharshapat). St. Vartan's was consecrated on April 28, 1968, by Vazgen I, Catholicos of Armenia and of All Armenians.
Walker O. Cain, of the firm Steinman, Cain & White – successor firm to McKim, Mead and White – with Edward Utudjian of Paris as a consultant, designed the cathedral. The building includes two unique features distinct to Armenian architecture: the use of double-intersecting arches and a pyramidal dome soaring 120 feet above street level.
Around the dome there are various symbols, including the figure of Jesus Christ; the Holy Spirit represented by a dove; the Greek letters alpha and omega superimposed on the scriptures; wheat and grapes representing the Eucharist; and the Phoenix symbolizing resurrection etc. A series of high, narrow, stained-glass windows are set into the main walls of the cathedral below the dome depicting scenes in the life of Christ and early Christianity in Armenia. The patron saint of the cathedral, St. Vartan, is depicted fighting the Sassanid Persians who threatened the Armenian Church during the fifth century. Ecumenism is symbolized in the portrait of St. Nerses and the crosses of Christendom.
- "St. Vartan Cathedral--Building a dream". History of St. Vartan Cathedral. The Diocese of the Armenian Church of America (Eastern). Archived from the original on 2007-10-28. Retrieved 2008-01-06.
- "The Artistry of St. Vartan Cathedral". History of St. Vartan Cathedral. The Diocese of the Armenian Church of America (Eastern). Retrieved 2008-01-06.
- "1960s". History of St. Vartan Cathedral. The Diocese of the Armenian Church of America (Eastern). Retrieved 2008-01-06.
- Dugan, George (April 29, 1968). "Armenian Patriarch Consecrates Cathedral Here". The New York Times. Retrieved 2022-11-12.
- "23-Karat Gold Leaf; Dome of Armenian Cathedral Is Regilded". The New York Times. December 5, 1993.
- St. Vartan Cathedral page at Eastern Diocese of the Armenian Church of America website