St. Xavier's School, Kolhapur
|St. Xavier's High School, Kolhapur|
|Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India|
|Type||Jesuit (Catholic), Government aided|
|Motto||Virtue and Work|
|Principal||Fr. Robert Das|
St. Xavier's High School, Kolhapur, India, is a Jesuit-run, English-medium school in the town of Kolhapur in southern Maharashtra. It became coeducational in 2008. It admits students from kindergarten till the Secondary School Certificate or 10th standard. Established in 1957, the school celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 2007.
It is located in a peaceful locality on the Kasba-Bavda road, opposite New Palace grounds. It has three large playgrounds, a library, a computer room, and a fully equipped laboratory.
The school is run by the members of the Society of Jesus in the Catholic church and follows Christian school traditions like morning prayers, annual feasts (December 3 for St. Francis Xavier), and values education or moral science. The Jesuits interview all prospective students, and those entering after 5th Standard must also take an entrance exam.
Xavier's has a shield as its emblem, displayed on the chest pocket of the school uniform. It is also on the flag hoisted to the playing of the school anthem on a brass bugle every day.
The students are divided into four houses – Gold, Blue, Green, and Red – that compete at an annual sports competition, with strong rivalry. The most popular events are a tug-of-war and a 2000-metre (500 X 4) relay race between the houses.
Other activities include "gathering" which is an annual social event with theatrical performances by the students, and the annual "leaving parade" for the seniors.
The NCC and Scouts organisations are active in the school, involving many students. In their last two years, all the boys are required to do one hour of social service in the local community each week.
- Virdhawal Khade, Olympic swimmer
- Satej Patil - former Minister of State for Home, Rural Development & FDA. Govt. of Maharashtra.
- Sujit Minchekar - member of Legislative Assembly, Maharashtra State
- Abhay Ashtekar, physicist Homepage
- Sanjay Shiralkar, Squadron Leader, aerial refueling director for the IAF
- Mr. Devavrat Bhandarkar, IAF pilot; received Vayusena Medal for bravery in saving tsunami victims on Car Nicobar Island. Vayusena
- Pravin Darade, District Collector Nagpur, IAS
- Nikhil Namit, producer of blockbuster "Bodyguard (2011 Hindi film)"
- Digvijay Khanvilkar, former Minister of Health, Govt. of Maharashtra