St. Xavier High School (Louisville)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Saint Xavier High School|
|1609 Poplar Level Road
Louisville, KY 40217
|Type||Private, All-male, college preparatory|
("Let God be our light.")
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic
|President||Perry E. Sangalli|
|Average class size||20 students|
|Student to teacher ratio||13:1|
|Campus||Urban, 54 acres, 6 buildings|
|Color(s)||Green and Gold|
|Athletics||10 KHSAA Sports
4 Club Sports
|Athletics conference||Kentucky High School Athletic Association|
|Team name||St. Xavier Tigers|
St. Xavier High School is an all-male, college preparatory Xaverian Brothers-sponsored school in Louisville, Kentucky. It is located in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Louisville. St. Xavier was founded in 1864 by Br. Paul Van Gerwen, C.F.X. The school is located on Poplar Level Road. St. Xavier is the only school in Kentucky that has received the Blue Ribbon of Excellence Award four times, the most recent of which was awarded in 2016. St. Xavier is currently renovating the school grounds with Project X, an initiative to raise $28 million for new academic and athletic facilities. In total Project X raised $29.1 million for the school.
St. Xavier has the largest enrollment of boys among Kentucky high schools, and had been the only school in Kentucky to have won a state championship in every Kentucky High School Athletic Association (KHSAA)-sanctioned sport open to boys before the KHSAA began sponsoring coeducational championships in archery and bass fishing in the early 21st century.
St. Xavier has one of the most successful athletic program in Kentucky, having won 172 boys' state championships across 13 differenct KHSAA sports. In 2005, St. Xavier was ranked #14 in "Sports Illustrated" Best High School Athletic Programs. In the 2009 fall semester, Saint X won all four fall sports. This is an unprecedented feat, taking home championships in soccer, football, cross country and golf.
The annual football game with traditional local rival Trinity High School at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium is promoted by the schools as the most-attended annual regular-season high school football game in the country, typically drawing over 35,000 fans. The largest crowd was 38,500 and the 2007 edition of the game had an announced attendance of 37,550.
The swim team, the Tiger Sharks, have won twenty-seven consecutive state swimming championships, their 50th swimming title overall which is a national record. The golf team has won the McDonald's Tournament of Champions national event multiple times and sent numerous golfers on to NCAA Division I colleges such as Kentucky, Louisville, Alabama, Wake Forest, Clemson, Cornell, Tennessee, Florida, Florida State, Oklahoma State, Ohio State and Purdue.
As of 2015, the cross country team has won 4 of the last 5 State Championships, and was nationally ranked in the top 15 in 2012-13. In 2012, the team which consisted of 6 future NCAA DI athletes, qualified for and competed in Nike Cross Nationals, the only consensus national championship competition in all of American High School athletics. The Tigers placed 14th. As of 2015, the soccer team has won eight state championships since 2000, earning top 10 rankings in national polls while doing so.
Project X resulted in a new tennis facility, complete with concessions and seating for 300 spectators, a new baseball stadium and a new 6,100 seat football stadium, complete with two private suites, an 8-lane rubberized track, new space for offices and locker rooms. The Tigers opened the new baseball complex on March 26, 2007, with a 10-0 win over Meade County, opened the football stadium on August 24, 2007, with an 18-14 victory over Ballard and opened the 2,000 seat basketball arena with a 73-53 win over South Oldham on January 20, 2009. With the conclusion of Project X, St. Xavier now boasts some of the best high school athletic facilities in the nation.
Entertainment and media
- "2013–2014 Audited School Enrollments (in alphabetic order)" (PDF). Kentucky High School Athletic Association. Retrieved January 3, 2014.
- Staff. "Saint Xavier High School Founder". Retrieved January 29, 2007.
- "St. X Named National Blue Ribbon School". Saint Xavier High School. Retrieved September 29, 2016.
- "Project X Facts".
- "2013-2014 Audited School Enrollments" (PDF). Kentucky High School Athletic Association. Retrieved January 3, 2014. The schools are organized from smallest enrollment to largest, without regard to whether a school is single-sex or coeducational.
- "Saint Xavier: Tradition Unequaled". Retrieved January 23, 2017.
- Frakes, Jason (December 7, 2009). "St. X enjoys a fall sweep: Tigers win all 4 boys' state titles". Courier.
- Patrick, Dick (September 21, 2005). "High school rivals are like family". USA Today. Retrieved July 6, 2014.
- KHSAA Cross Country Championship records
- KHSAA Soccer Championship records
- "Chris Burke Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved July 18, 2013.
- "Paul Byrd Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved July 17, 2013.