St Albans railway station, Melbourne
|Location||St Albans Road, St Albans|
|Distance||17.81 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Structure type||Below ground|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||1 February 1887|
|Closed||3 October 2016|
|Rebuilt||2 November 2016|
St Albans station opened on 1 February 1887. Originally only three trains each way passed through St Albans on weekdays and passengers had to inform the train guard at the stop prior for the train to stop. Later the steam era trains operated hourly from Flinders Street to Braybrook Junction, with only eight trains continuing to St Albans. The station was made the terminus of the electrified suburban network from the city in October 1921, with trains running every 40 minutes by day and hourly at night.
The original station was located at the northern end of the Main Road level crossing, with all terminating electric trains using Platform 2.
In 1959 the station was rebuilt, with an island platform built on the southern side of the level crossing. One side faced the main line, with the other side formed a dock platform for terminating suburban trains. The old westbound platform was removed but the eastbound platform remained for Spencer Street bound regional trains. Boom barriers replace interlocked gates at Main Road in 1986.
A disused platform located west of the Main Road level crossing was used for Southern Cross bound V/Line trains, until replaced by the current Platform 1 as part of the extension of the electrified network to Sydenham in January 2002.
In November 2012 with electrification to Sunbury, V/Line Bendigo trains ceased stopping at St Albans and Metro Trains terminating services ceased with Platform 3 no longer regularly used although the stabling yard was still used for train storage until recent times (2015) as work on grade separation has begun.
In late 2015 the Level Crossing Removal Authority commenced a grade separation project that replaced the Main Road level crossing, with the station opening on 1 November 2016, and the overall project expected to be finished by mid-2017. This has resulted in roughly a third of the station being directly below Main Rd with the remainder lowered.
Platforms & services
CDC Melbourne operate eight bus routes to and from St Albans station:
- 408: to Highpoint Shopping Centre via Sunshine station & Braybrook
- 418: to Caroline Springs Square Shopping Centre via St Albans North, Keilor Shopping Centre, Keilor Plains station & Taylors Road
- 419: to Watergardens station
- 421: to Watergardens station via Taylors Lakes, Keilor Downs, Keilor Plains station, Kealba & St Albans East
- 423: to Brimbank Central Shopping Centre via Cairnlea
- 424: to Brimbank Central Shopping Centre via Albanvale
- 425: to Watergardens station via Sydenham, Delahey & Kings Park
- St Albans Vicsig
- St Albans Interlocking Information Vicsig
- SE Dornan & RG Henderson (1979). Electric Railways of Victoria. Australian Electric Traction Society. p. 68. ISBN 0-909459-06-1.
- VR History by Andrew Waugh
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. October 1997. p. 310.
- Deadly St Albans crossing to get overhaul Herald Sun 27 April 2014
- $200 million to remove notorious St Albans level crossing Premier of Victoria 27 April 2014
- Furlong Main Level Crossing Removal Project Level Crossing Removal Authority
- Sunbury Line timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 408 St Albans - Highpoint Shopping Centre timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 418 Caroline Springs Square Shopping Centre - St Albans timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 419 St Albans - Watergardens Railway Station timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 421 St Albans - Watergardens Railway Station timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 423 St Albans - Brimbank Central Shopping Centre timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 424 St Albans - Brimbank Central Shopping Centre timetable Public Transport Victoria
- Route 425 St Albans - Watergardens Railway Station timetable Public Transport Victoria