St Andrew's Church, Rollestone
|St Andrew's Church, Rollestone|
St Andrew's Church, Rollestone, from the south
|OS grid reference|
|Location||Rollestone, Shrewton, Wiltshire|
|Website||Churches Conservation Trust|
|Heritage designation||Grade II*|
|Designated||18 February 1952|
|Materials||Flint and stone|
St Andrew's Church is in Rollestone Road, Rollestone, Wiltshire, England. It is a redundant Anglican church in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It was declared redundant on 1 July 1993, and was vested in the Trust on 8 February 1995. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.
St Andrew's was built in the early 13th century. For the early part of its history, until the Dissolution of the Monasteries, the church was a possession of the Knights Hospitaller. It has been suggested that Jane Seymour was baptised at the church in the early 16th century around 1508, however this may be a confusion with another child of the same name.
It is constructed in flint and stone in a chequerwork pattern. The church consists of a chancel and nave which was given a new roof in the 16th century. The nave is 32 feet (9.8 m) by 15 feet (4.6 m) while the chancel is 9 feet 8 inches (2.95 m) by 9 feet 6 inches (2.90 m). Rebuilding work on the chancel and chancel arch were undertaken in 1845. The church has two large Perpendicular windows. The stained glass is 17th century. The font dating from the 13th century and has a 17th century cover. The oak benches were brought from the redundant church of St Catherine’s at Haydon, Dorset in 1981.
- St Andrew's Church, Rollestone, Wiltshire, Churches Conservation Trust, retrieved 1 April 2011
- Diocese of Salisbury: All Schemes (PDF), Church Commissioners/Statistics, Church of England, 2011, p. 9, retrieved 1 April 2011
- Historic England, "Church of St Andrew, Shrewton (1181917)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 26 September 2013
- "Church of St. Andrew, Rollestone, Shrewton". Wiltshire Community History. Wiltshire Council. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- "St Andrew's Church, Rollestone". Salisbury Plain Benefice. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- Burston, Arnold. "Rollestone, Wiltshire". Rollestone-on-Dove. Retrieved 4 September 2016.
- Baggs, A.P.; Crittall, Elizabeth; Freeman, Jane; Stevenson, Janet H. "Parishes: Rollestone In: A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 11, Downton Hundred; Elstub and Everleigh Hundred". British History Online. Victoria County History. Retrieved 4 September 2016.