St Andrews, Victoria
St Andrews Hotel
|Elevation||209 m (686 ft)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Nillumbik|
St Andrews is a town in Victoria, Australia, 36 km north-east of Melbourne's Central Business District. Its local government area is the Shire of Nillumbik. At the 2016 Census, St Andrews had a population of 1,226.
St Andrews is well known for its alternative market, which is open every Saturday from 8am to 2pm. It also contains a hotel, primary school, bakery, CFA, general store and a community centre.
Originally called Queenstown, the area was surveyed in 1858 and a town proclaimed on 25 February 1861.
St Andrew Post Office had opened earlier on 1 January 1856 and was renamed St Andrews in 1923.
It experienced population growth during the Victorian gold rush, when prospectors mined the hills around the town. The first discovery of gold in Queenstown was recorded in The Herald on 9 and 11 March 1855 and was attributed to a George Boston and two Scotsmen.
In April 2015, it was named Victoria's Wealthiest Town, as a result of ATO statistics. The town beat Toorak and Portsea, traditional leaders in this ranking.
St Andrews has a great community feel and is much loved by its residents and visitors alike.
On 7 February 2009 a major bushfire destroyed houses on Ninks, Muller, Jacksons and Wild Dog Creek Roads, as well as Buttermans Track and Olives Lane. Its progression toward the town centre was halted by a southerly wind change, which saved the rest of the town, but drove the fire front further east, destroying the towns of Kinglake and Marysville.
- Shire of Eltham - St Andrews was previously within this former local government area.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "St Andrews (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2017-07-04.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Retrieved 2008-04-11.
- Jackson, William (8 February 2009). "St Andrews residents devastated after fires". Whittlesea Leader. Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- St Andrews Queenstown Historical Society
- Victoria's wealthiest town? St Andrews remains rich in community spirit
- St Andrews the highest earning postcode in Victoria, beating Toorak and Portsea
- St Andrews Community Market
|This article about a location in Victoria, Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|