St Anne's Church, Hindsford
|St Anne's Church, Hindsford|
St Anne's Church, Hindsford
|OS grid reference|
|Location||Tyldesley Road, Hindsford, Atherton, Greater Manchester|
|Status||Former parish church|
|Heritage designation||Grade II|
|Designated||18 October 1991|
|Architect(s)||Austin and Paley|
Westmorland slate roofs
St Anne's Church is a redundant Anglican parish church in Tyldesley Road, Hindsford, Atherton, Greater Manchester, England. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building.
The forerunner to this church was a mission church, also dedicated to St Anne, built on Swan Island in 1873. In 1884 Hindsford became a parish in its own right, and in 1889 the foundation stone was laid for this church. It was designed by the Lancaster architects Austin and Paley. The church was completed in 1901 at a cost of £9,000 (equivalent to £900,000 in 2016). It provided seating for 450 people, and was built on land given by Lord Lilford. The church was declared redundant on 1 November 1999, and was divided into flats in 2003–04.
The church is constructed in sandstone with Westmorland slate roofs. Its architectural style is Gothic Revival. The building is orientated northwest-southeast; in the following description ritual orientation is used. The plan consists of a four bay nave, north and south aisles, a south porch, a south transept, and a two-bay chancel with a tower and vestry to the south. The tower stands on a chamfered plinth. It has diagonal buttresses. one of which rises to an octagonal stair turret. The two-light bell openings are louvred and square-headed. The parapet is embattled, and the tower is surmounted by a pyramidal roof with a weathervane. The windows contain Decorated tracery.
- Listed buildings in Atherton, Greater Manchester
- List of ecclesiastical works by Austin and Paley (1895–1914)
- Historic England, "Church of St Anne, Wigan (1356248)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 25 January 2012
- Lunn, John (1971), Atherton Lancashire, A manorial social and industrial history, Atherton UDC, p. 191
- Pollard, Richard; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2006), Lancashire: Liverpool and the South-West, The Buildings of England, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, p. 137, ISBN 0-300-10910-5
- UK Retail Price Index inflation figures are based on data from Clark, Gregory (2017). "The Annual RPI and Average Earnings for Britain, 1209 to Present (New Series)". MeasuringWorth. Retrieved 6 November 2017.
- Brandwood, Geoff; Austin, Tim; Hughes, John; Price, James (2012), The Architecture of Sharpe, Paley and Austin, Swindon: English Heritage, pp. 161, 243, ISBN 978-1-84802-049-8
- Diocese of Manchester: All Schemes (PDF), Church Commissioners/Statistics, Church of England, 2011, p. 6, retrieved 25 January 2012