St Dominic's Catholic College
|St Dominic's Catholic College, Henderson|
29 Rathgar Road,
|Type||Integrated secondary (year 7-13) Single Sex-Girls Sch|
|Motto||Veritas - Truth|
|Established||1952; 67 years ago|
|Ministry of Education Institution no.||47|
|School roll||878 (August 2018)|
St Dominic's College, Henderson is an integrated college for girls in Year 7 to Year 13 located in Henderson, Auckland, New Zealand. The College was founded by the Dominican Sisters in 1952 in Northcote, Auckland. The school was transferred to Henderson in 1968. In 1982 the school was integrated into the State education system under the Private Schools Conditional Integration Act 1975.
The school is set in spacious grounds with up to date facilities which include a swimming pool, technology equipment, computers, music suite and flood-lit netball courts.
- Margaret Ann Wilson, DCNZM, LL.B (Hons), MJur Auck, HonD Waikato, (born 1947): Academic and Politician; President of the New Zealand Labour Party (1989–1990); first professor of law and first dean of the law school, Waikato University (1990–1999); Member of Parliament (1999–2008); Attorney-General of New Zealand (1999–2005); Minister of Labour (1999–2004), Speaker of the New Zealand House of Representatives (2005–2008) (first woman in latter three positions); professor of law and public policy, Waikato University (2009-).
- "Directory of Schools - as at 13 September 2018". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 22 September 2018.
- "Decile Change 2014 to 2015 for State & State Integrated Schools". Ministry of Education. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Founding dean returns to waikato, January 2009 (accessed 20 March 2009)
References and sources
- Mary Augustine McCarthy OP, Star in the south: the centennial history of the New Zealand Dominican Sisters, St Dominic’s Priory, Dunedin, 1970.
- St. Dominic’s College : silver jubilee, 1952-1977, The College, Auckland. 1977.
- E.R. Simmons, A Brief History of the Catholic Church in New Zealand, Catholic Publication Centre, Auckland, 1978 and In Cruce Salus, A History of the Diocese of Auckland 1848 - 1980, Catholic Publication Centre, Auckland 1982.
- Michael King, God's farthest outpost : a history of Catholics in New Zealand, Viking, Auckland 1997.
- Nicholas Reid, James Michael Liston: A Life, Victoria University Press, Wellington, 2006.