St Elizabeth of Portugal Church
|St Elizabeth of Portugal Church|
|St Elizabeth of Portugal Church, Richmond, London|
|Location||2A The Vineyard, Richmond, London TW10 6AQ|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|Dedication||Elizabeth of Portugal|
|Materials||yellow and red brick|
|Episcopal area||South West Pastoral Area|
|Diocese||Archdiocese of Southwark|
|Priest(s)||Father Stephen Langridge|
|Official name||Church of St Elizabeth of Portugal|
|Designated||24 December 1968|
St Elizabeth of Portugal Church is a Grade II listed Roman Catholic parish church in The Vineyard, Richmond in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, south west London. It is adjacent to The Vineyard Life Church. Dedicated to a 14th-century queen consort of Portugal, it claims to be oldest standing Catholic Church in the Archdiocese of Southwark.
The church dates from the 1790s. The present building in yellow and red brick, which is Grade II listed and dates from 1824, was the gift of Elizabeth Doughty. It was designed by Thomas Hardwick. A gallery was added in 1851. The chancel, presbytery and tower were rebuilt in 1903 according to plans drawn up by the architect Frederick Walters. The representations of the Stations of the Cross around the nave were designed by Don Pavey in the 1950s and painted by Jo Ledger.
- Phil Lynott, rock musician, married Caroline Crowther, daughter of British comedian Leslie Crowther, on 14 February 1980
- Barbara Dickson, singer-songwriter and actress, married Oliver Cookson, TV producer, in August 1984
- Phil Lynott, rock musician (1949–1986), on 9 January 1986
- "St Elizabeth's Richmond, History". St Elizabeth's Church. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Historic England. "Church of St Elizabeth of Portugal (1261982)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 24 June 2017.
- Orr, Stephen. "St Elizabeth of Portugal RC Church". The Vineyard, Richmond: an Online History for residents, their families and friends. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- Cherry, Bridget and Pevsner, Nikolaus (1983). The Buildings of England – London 2: South. London: Penguin Books. p. 519. ISBN 0-14-0710-47-7.
- "St Elizabeths. Richmond. Surrey: Additions to church 2nd presbytery". Local Studies Collection. London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Osborne, Roy (2009). Don Pavey: His Life and Work on Colour and Aesthetics: A Biography. p. 33. ISBN 978-1-4452-0460-4.
- "St Elizabeth of Portugal – Richmond". Catholic Churches of England & Wales. Taking Stock. Retrieved 1 June 2015.
- Putterford, Mark (1994). Philip Lynott: The Rocker. Castle Communications, p. 195. ISBN 1-898141-50-9.
- Dickson, Barbara (2009). A Shirt Box Full of Songs: The Autobiography. Hachette Scotland. ISBN 978-0755318650.
- "1986 – Death of Philip 'Phil' Parris Lynott. He was an Irish singer, bassist, instrumentalist, and songwriter, who first came to prominence as the frontman of Thin Lizzy". Stair na hÉireann – History of Ireland. 4 January 2015. Retrieved 31 December 2015.
- "Saint Elizabeth". Parish directory. Archdiocese of Southwark. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- "Mass schedule". Welcome to St. Elizabeth’s RC Church. St Elizabeth’s Church. Retrieved 27 November 2017.
- "Weekly Newsletter". St Elizabeth's Church. Retrieved 27 May 2017.