St George Girls High School
|St. George Girls' High School|
French: Dieu Et Droit
God and Right
|Kogarah, New South Wales
|Type||Selective, public, single-sex, day school|
|Colour(s)||Red, Navy Blue & White|
St George Girls High School is an academically selective, public high school for girls, located in Kogarah, a Southern Suburb of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Established in 1916 and operated by the New South Wales Department of Education and Training, the school currently caters for approximately 935 students from Years 7 to 12. For first year entry, students must sit the Selective High Schools Test and are offered admission into the school based on academic merit.
|This section does not cite any sources. (July 2009)|
Important annual events on the St George calendar include:
- Swimming Carnival held at Bexley Pool
- The Walkathon
- Athletics Carnival, held at Sylvania Athletics Track
- SRC week
- Drama Night, showcasing the talents of Drama students
- Senior Drama Night, showcasing talents of Year 12 Drama
- 'Inspired' - textiles and design fashion parade
- The Summer Music Festival in conjunction with the Multicultural Food Festival
- Gala Music festival
- SRC Dance (STHS)
- The "Listen" concerts, which include the Stage Band, Orchestra and Concert Band
- The "Sing" concerts, which comprise the Vocal Ensemble and the Singing Tutorial girls
The School has three school organisations which provide support to the school.
- P & C Association: St George Girls High School Parents & Citizen' Association takes an active interest in the welfare and education of students. When possible, they have a guest speaker.
- St Georgians: The St Georgians is the association for ex-students of the school to meet regularly.
At St George Girls High School, there are 15 School Prefects, of them are two Vice Captains and one School Captain. These students are nominated and voted by their fellow year 12 peers and lead in the planning events for their cohort and the wider school community.
- Student Representative Council (SRC)
St George Girls High School has an active Student Representative Council (SRC). Students from each year elect representatives from their class to represent them at SRC meetings. The SRC consists of four year 11 students selected by the students of the school.
In the past, the SRC has participated in charities such as Daffodil Day, Jeans for Genes day and Pink Ribbon day as well as fundraising activities such as the Walkathon, Gelato Days and Mufti Days. Money raised from school fundraising activities is used for improvements within the school. Recent SRC projects include planting of trees for shade, purchasing teaching resources in the school and providing additional seating arrangements around the school quadrangles.
Although St George Girls High School is an all-girls school, Sydney Technical High School is often referred to as its male counterpart. Being the 'Brother School' of St George Girls High School, Sydney Technical High School often engages in joint SRC fundraising activities. Examples of these include SRC school dances, the St George vs. Sydney Tech netball game during SRC week, as well as P&C meetings.
- Van Badham - Playwright and author
- Tanya Blencowe - Sydney 2000 Olympics ambassador
- Patricia Brennan - AM, MBBS, M Forensic Med, PhD was a medical missionary, wife and mother, television broadcaster, forensic physician, haematology registrar at Prince of Wales Hospital, physician and surgeon at the Sudan Interior Mission Hospital in Jos, Nigeria, and Galmi surgical and obstetric hospital in Niger
- Susien Chong - Fashion designer (Lover label)
- Michelle Ford - Olympic gold medallist (freestyle swimming) Moscow 1980 games
- Madeleine Genner - ABC journalist
- Meredith Griffiths - ABC reporter
- Eleanor Hall - ABC journalist
- Jocelyn Ho - concert pianist
- Kate Lawson - flautist
- Linda Marigliano - Radio host on national radio station Triple j, presenting the Lunch program
- Elizabeth Minchin - professor of classics at The Australian National University
- Shefali Pryor - Assistant Principal Oboist with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra
- Moya Sayer-Jones - Writer (Sayer-Jones' book Little Sister relates her years at St George)
- Christina Stead - Australian novelist. Stead's novel, The Man Who Loved Children was recently heralded as a forgotten 20th Century "masterpiece" by American author Jonathan Franzen in the New York Times, who compared her to James Joyce and William Faulkner.
- Amelia Tan (Destroyx) - Angelspit
- List of Government schools in New South Wales
- List of selective high schools in New South Wales
- Sydney Technical High School
- "St George Girls High School". School Locator. NSW Public Schools. Retrieved 2008-02-21.
- . www.sgghs.com.au. 2007 title = Captain Address - St George Girls' High School http://www.sgghs.com.au/captainaddress.html title = Captain Address - St George Girls' High School Check
value (help). Retrieved 2009-10-18. Missing or empty
- Radio National Breakfast
- "All Bases Covered". smh.com.au. 2007-09-07. Retrieved 2007-10-28.
- St George Girls High School website
- NSW Department of Education and Training: St George Girls High School
- Top 50 Secondary Schools in NSW