St Georges Road, Melbourne
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
St Georges Road
St Georges Road in Fitzroy North
|Length||6 km (3.7 mi)|
|North end|| Spring Street, Reservoir /|
Murray Road, Preston
|South end||Brunswick Street, Fitzroy North|
|Major suburbs||Thornbury, Northcote|
St Georges Road is a main road in the inner northern suburbs of Melbourne, which passes through the suburbs of Fitzroy North, Northcote, Thornbury and Preston. The road is designated State Route 45 for its entire length, although carries State Route 38 for approximately 500 metres as it crosses Merri Creek.
The southern end commences at the intersection of York Street and Nicholson Street in Fitzroy North. Branching diagonally from Nicholson Street, the street proceeds in a roughly north-north-east direction, crossing Brunswick Street at Watkins Street. Here, it becomes a major thoroughfare and tram route 11 enters the street. It continues in the same direction until it crosses Merri Creek. Just after crossing Merri Creek there is an intersection with Merri Parade and Charles Street. St Georges Road then continues more directly north as a divided road until it terminates at Murray Road, Preston, where it joins Spring Street. The local council, the City of Yarra, has planted trees between Merri Bridge and Holden Street.
Northcote High School is situated on St Georges Road. Located nearby is Merri Creek Primary School. Some small shopping areas are located along the road.
Until the middle of 2009 there was a large roundabout at the intersection of St Georges Road, Merri Parade and Charles Street which has now been replaced by traffic lights. In 2017 Melbourne Water renewed the pipes that run beneath the central reservation as part of the Preston Reservoir to Merri Creek Water Main Renewal Project. This required 80 palm trees to be removed and stored off-site before being replanted.
- Melway (Edition 33, 2006) maps 18 and 30. ISBN 0-909439-14-1
- St Georges Road Northcote - Reconstruction with Tram Track Reservation Transit Australia January 1990 page 6
- St Georges Road Track Relocation - Stage 1 Completed Transit Australia December 1991 pages 270-273
- Completion of Melbourne's St Georges Road Project Transit Australia August 1992 pages 174-176
- Newsletter July 2017 Melbourne Water
- Preston Reservoir to Merri Creek water main renewal project Melbourne Water
- Water main crossings works complete in Melbourne’s north Utility Magazine 20 December 2017
|This Melbourne-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|