St Helena Bay
|Saint Helena Bay|
|• Total||26.92 km2 (10.39 sq mi)|
|• Density||430/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||29.7%|
|First languages (2011)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (SAST)|
|Postal code (street)||7390|
Nicknamed by locals as Agterbaai, the town is located on the shore of the bay, from which it derives its name and is approximately 150 km north of Cape Town, South Africa. It surrounds the towns of Vredenburg and Paternoster, and is located across the bay from Laaiplek.
The bay was named Bahia de Santa Helena (Portuguese for its current name) after Saint Helena a devout, influential Christian and mother of Constantine I. This location was also the first setting of a battle between the indigenous Khoikhoi people and a European explorer took place.
Saint Helena Bay is a major fishing town. It is home to Sandy Point Harbor - one of two ports to the bay, (the other being in Laaiplek) on the West Coast of South Africa. In winter it is host to many fishing activities, where snoek is found in its waters, as well as an endangered species of rock lobster and crayfish.
Saint Helena Bay is the only area along the South African West Coast where the sun rises across the bay. The reason for this is its unique location, where by the town itself faces north east and almost north.
The region of Saint Helena Bay is sub-divided into various suburbs, namely (from east to west):Slippers Bay(Home of the famous Novella family), Laingville(Situated on part of the farm Elandskloof that was owned by the Laing Family), West Point, Brandhuis,Steenberg's Cove, Hannasbaai, Britanica Heights, Harbour Lights, Sandy Point, Blueberry Hill, Columbine, Mid-West and it incorporates the neighboring towns of Stompneusbaai and Britannia Bay. It includes a total of eighteen smaller bays.
Tourism and events
Saint Helena Bay is regular host to the St Helenabaai Seefees, (Afrikaans, translated as St Helena Bay Sea Festival). This event is hosted by the town's Tourism association and takes place annually in December during the South African summer season.
Saint Helena Bay is noted as a popular destination for former South African Rugby Union player, Kobus Wiese, who owns property in the region. In February 2012, South African TV personality and soap opera star, Hildegardt Whites (who plays the role of Bonita Meintjies in 7de Laan) married Polish-born musician Kuba Silkiewicz in Shelly Point, St Helena Bay. Whites grew up in the West Coast during her teen years.
- capewestcoastpeninsula.co.za | st helena bay
- draaihoek.com | Get Hooked on the West Coast
- CapeWestCoast.org | St Helena Bay
- "Main Place Saint Helena Bay". Census 2011.
- [dead link]
- St Helena Bay. CapeWestCoast.org. http://www.capewestcoast.org/regions/town.php?town_id=29
- "Dictionary of Southern African Place Names (Public Domain)". Human Science Research Council. p. 395.
- "St Helena Bay". www.sa-venues.com.
- Op Pad in Suid-Afrika. BPJ Erasmus 1995. ISBN 1-86842-026-4
- "capewestcoastpeninsula.co.za". capewestcoastpeninsula.co.za.
- "HTML REDIRECT". sandypoint.co.za.
- Alternative To Immigration. Mypropetry.co.za http://www.myproperty.co.za/news/131/alternative-to-immigration.aspx
- "Sandy Point". www.sandypoint.co.za.
- Bay of many bays. http://capewestcoastpeninsula.co.za/sthelenabay/
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- St Helenabaai Seefees 2012. Absolutebeach.co.za. http://www.absolutebeach.co.za/blog/st-helenabaai-seefees-2012/
- Things to Do in St Helena Bay. Safarinow. http://www.safarinow.com/things-to-do/st-helena-bay/default.aspx
- Events: St Helenabaai Seefees. Weslander.co.za. http://www.weslander.co.za/events/view.aspx?eventid=2358
- [dead link]
- Sjiek, A. April 13, 2012. Hildegardt en Kuba. http://www.trouinspirasie.co.za/blog/regte-troues/hildegardt-en-kuba-antiek-sjiek/
- Celebrity Wedding: Hildegardt Whites & Kuba Silkiewicz - Shelly Point Hotel & Spa - St Helena Bay. Be-Dazzled.co.za. http://be-dazzled1.blogspot.com/2012/03/celebrity-wedding-hildegardt-whites.html
- Kuba & Hildegardt: 4 February 2012. blankcanvasblogs. http://blankcanvasblogs.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/kuba-hildegardt-4-february-2012/