St Helens South and Whiston (UK Parliament constituency)
|St. Helens South and Whiston|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of St. Helens South and Whiston in Merseyside for the 2010 general election.
Location of Merseyside within England.
|Electorate||78,612 (December 2010)|
|Member of parliament||Marie Rimmer (Labour)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||St Helens South,
|European Parliament constituency||North West England|
Following the Fifth Periodic Review of Westminster constituencies the Boundary Commission for England expanded and renamed the St Helens South seat, covering the south of the Metropolitan Borough of St Helens and three wards of the Knowsley borough which were in a neighbouring seat.
- Results of the winning party
The area has been held by the Labour Party since the 1945 election (including predecessor seats), and part since 1935. The 2015 result made the seat the 24th safest of Labour's 232 seats by percentage of majority.
- Results of other parties
Turnout has risen from 59.1% to 62.3%
The boundaries have not changed to date.
Its electoral wards are:
- From Knowsley: Prescot East, Whiston North and Whiston South
- From St Helens: Bold, Eccleston, Rainhill, Sutton, Thatto Heath, Town Centre and West Park.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Brian Spencer|
|Liberal Democrat||Brian Spencer||2,737||5.7||−16.6|
|Liberal Democrat||Brian Spencer||10,242||22.2||−6.6|
- * Served as an MP in the 2005–2010 Parliament
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- List of Labour MPs elected in 2015 by % majority UK Political.info. Retrieved 2017-01-29
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "S" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "St Helens South & Whiston parliamentary constituency". BBC News.
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "St Helens South & Whiston". BBC News. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.