St John's Church, Peasedown St John
|St John's Church|
|Church of St. John Baptist|
|OS grid reference|
|Location||Peasedown St John, Somerset|
|Founded||1874 by Order in Council|
|Founder(s)||Miss Anna Mary Jarrett and Miss Emily Elizabeth Jarrett of Camerton Court|
|Architect(s)||Bodley and Garner|
|Diocese||Bath and Wells|
|Vicar(s)||Revd Matthew G Street|
|Assistant priest(s)||Revd Richard Fothergill|
|Reader(s)||Joanna Vening, Tina Trevett and Sarah Stockinger|
|Churchwarden(s)||Joy Fraser and Nigel Vening|
|Parish administrator||Hywel Carr|
St John's Church, Peasedown St John (or more formally the Church of St John the Baptist, Peasedown) is the Anglican parish church for the village of Peasedown St John in North East Somerset. The Parish was founded in 1874 and the current building dates from 1893. It is home to a congregation drawn largely from the village of Peasedown St John and the surrounding area. The Church now forms part of the ‘St J’s’ Group of Churches, a single benefice also including the parishes of Wellow and Foxcote with Shoscombe.
Sunday services and regular activities
Sunday Services show an emphasis on Bible teaching and on the work of the Holy Spirit. The morning service features organ and keyboard-led worship with Common Worship Liturgy, and the afternoon service features band-led worship. The current weekly pattern of worship consists of:
10.30 Morning Praise every Sunday (Holy Communion on 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month) with a more informal style worship on the 5th Sunday. In 2011 a Sunday School was started at this Service.
16.30 Soulfood Service held in Peasedown St John Youth Club every Sunday with a Children's Church known as 'Sundayz Cool' and a weekly family tea.
The Church was refurbished during the winter of 1989-1990 during which time Services were held in the adjacent Church Hall. The Centenary of the current church building was marked in 1993 with visits from the Bishop of Bath and Wells (the Rt Revd Jim Thompson) and a Solemn Evensong at which the Archdeacon of Bath preached.
Vicars and Staff of the Parish of Peasedown St John
- Revd C H Little (1874–1883)
- Revd Charles Gamlen (1883–1908)
- Revd J M Morson (1908–1914)
- Revd F L Sheppard (1914–1927)
- Revd O P Revely (1927–1928)
- Revd R B C Carson (1928–1933)
- Revd E B Rothwell (1933–1954)
- Revd Cyril W Hollinshead (1954–1976)
- Revd R H Peter Hazelton (1976–1989)
- Revd Hugh R L Bonsey (1990–2004)
- Revd Matthew G Street (2005–present)
The PCC now also employs on a part-time basis a Children's Worker, a Worship Leader and a Church Administrator. The Revd Richard Fothergill is Licensed to the Benefice as Associate Priest.
- As seen in annual teaching programme documents: 2012 'Numbers you can count on', 2010 'Bridging the Gap', 2009 'Radical Living in a Comfortable World' and 2008 'Turn your life round in 27 steps'.
- Records of the Diocese of Bath and Wells held at Somerset Record Office (ref. D/D/ord/100/5)