St John's Church, Threapwood
|St John's Church, Threapwood|
St John's Church, Threapwood, from the south
|OS grid reference|
|Website||St John, Threapwood|
|Heritage designation||Grade II*|
|Designated||1 March 1967|
|Materials||Brick with slate roof|
|Parish||St Oswald, Malpas, and St John, Threapwood|
|Rector||Revd Canon Ian Arthan Davenport|
St John's Church is in the village of Threapwood, Cheshire, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester, and the deanery of Malpas. Its benefice is combined with those of St Oswald, Malpas and Holy Trinity, Bickerton. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building. The authors of the Buildings of England series state that it is entirely Georgian in style.
St John's is a rectangular church in Georgian style. It is constructed in brick, and has a slate roof. At the west end is an open octagonal cupola. There are pedimented doorways at the west end, and in the middle of the south side.
Inside the church are galleries on three sides, with the north and south galleries curving round to the west gallery. They are carried on iron columns with an iron parapet. The two chandeliers are in brass and are dated 1817. The altar rails are in iron, and are on three sides of the altar. On the two sides of the altar are box pews with brass name plates for the patrons, the Broughton and Kenyon families. The panelled timber reredos is in three parts, bearing the Lord's Prayer and the creed to the left and the right and an extract from Exodus in a divided central panel.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St John's Church, Threapwood.|
- Threapwood, St John, Church of England, retrieved 24 September 2013
- Historic England, "Church of St John, Threapwood (1129936)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 14 September 2012
- Hartwell, Clare; Hyde, Matthew; Hubbard, Edward; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2011) , Cheshire, The Buildings of England, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, p. 637, ISBN 978-0-300-17043-6
- Threapwood, Genuki, retrieved 27 January 2008
- Morant, Roland W. (1989), Cheshire Churches, Birkenhead: Countyvise, p. 182, ISBN 0-907768-18-0
- Historic England, "Gatepiers, gates, wall, piers and railings to Church of St John, Threapwood (1325954)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 14 September 2012
- THREAPWOOD (ST. JOHN) CHURCHYARD, Commonwealth War Graves Commission, retrieved 4 February 2013