St John of God Hospital Warrnambool
Established in 1939, the hospital is located in the South West region of Victoria, Australia.
St John of God Warrnambool Hospital was named “Business of the Year” in the Powercor Warrnambool Business Excellence Awards in 2010. In the same awards, the hospital was also the recipient of the Health and Wellbeing Award.
In 2009, Helene Plummer - the cancer services manager at St John of God Warrnambool Hospital established the Warrnambool wig bank, a service that lends wigs to cancer patients while they're being treated.
The hospital houses 70 beds, 3 operating theatres, an endoscopy suite, day surgery unit, high dependency unit, a rehabilitation unit, sleep disorder centre and diagnostic centre.
In 2010, the hospital underwent a $6.4m redevelopment, which included the opening of a Health Services Centre. The new facility includes a gymnasium, hydrotherapy pool, consulting suites for diabetes and dietetic services, mental health therapy rooms, art and music therapy rooms.
Services provided by St John of God Warrnambool Hospital include:
- surgical (including day surgery)
- mental health
- women's health
- palliative care
- sleep studies
Raphael Centre South-West Victoria
In 2006, the Raphael Centre South-West Victoria – operated by St John of God Warrnambool Hospital - was established. The Raphael Centre provides perinatal mental health services during ante-natal or post-natal phase.
East Timor Fund
In 2010, St John of God funded the costs of travel and surgery for nineteen-year-old Flavia Lucilda Guterres from East Timor; following the success of the surgery, the East Timor Fund was established by cardiologist Noel Bayley. The Fund aims to help people, particularly in East Timor, who need to be brought to Australia for medical treatment.
Horizon House Warrnambool opened in 2011 to provide long-term support to young people who may otherwise face homelessness.
- LiveinVictoria.vic.gov.au (2010), “Living in Regional Victoria”, pp.3, Retrieved 2011-02-24
- Warrnambool City Council, “Powercor Warrnambool Business of the Year Awards”. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- Jeremy Lee (2009-05-25), “The Warrnambool wig bank”, ABC South West Victoria. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- St John of God Warrnambool Hospital, “About Us”. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- Catholic Diocese of Ballarat (2010-06-24), “Catholic Health Care expands in Warrnambool”, pp.1. Retrieved 2011-03-09.
- The Australasian Marcé Society (2007), “2007 Conference”, pp.45. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- Malcolm Brown (2010-10-04), “Timor teenager rallies after surgery”, The Standard. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- Mary Alexander (2010-09-24), “Reaching out to aid sick teens”, The Standard. Retrieved 2011-03-11.
- St John of God Health Care (2011-01-05), “Reaching out further in 2011”. Press release. Retrieved 2011-03-11.