St John the Baptist Church (Toodyay)
|St John the Baptist Church|
|The New Church|
St John the Baptist Church in 2014
|Location||Stirling Terrace, Toodyay|
|Founded||17 November 1963|
|Consecrated||17 November 1963|
St John the Baptist Church is a Roman Catholic church in Toodyay, Western Australia, part of a group of church buildings. It was built and consecrated in 1963. It is the second church of that name, replacing the one built in 1863.
The new church replaced the original St John the Baptist Church across the road. The older building was in poor repair, and in 1963 when the standard gauge railway line also came through in close proximity a decision was made to re-locate. After fundraising and support from the shire and local businesses the church was officially opened on 17 November 1963 with the blessing of M. McKeon, Auxiliary Bishop of Perth. The altar and tabernacle of the new church were donated by the O'Connor estate. A brass plaque, transferred from the former church, commemorates the contribution of the Quinlan family.
Priests who have administered to the Parish since the consecration of the church are:
- 1958-67 Fr John Chokolich
- 1967 Fr Alex Morahan
- 1968-72 Fr Carmelo Di Giorgio
- 1972 Fr W. de Bruyn
- 1974-81 Fr John E.C. Lisle
- 1981-84 Fr Reginald Smith
- 1984-86 Fr T. McDonald
- 1986-92 Fr T. Hewitt
- 1993-94 Fr Kevin Hay
- April - Nov 1994 Fr Pat Russell
Then served and cared for from Northam:
- 1995-96 Fr Greg Donovan
- 1997 Fr Kaz Stuglik
- 1998-2000 Fr Robert Carrillo
- 2001-04 Frs Stephen Casey & James D'Souza
- 2004-06 Fr Geoff Aldous
- 2006-11 Frs Andrew Bowron & Richard Ye Myint
- 2012 Frs Dominic Savio & Richard Ye Myint
- 2013 Frs Pavol Herda & Emmanuel Dimobi
- Shepherd, Juanita (23 October 2013). "Milestone celebrations for WA country parish". The Record. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- Woldendorp, Richard, 1927-; HRRC (1992), Aerial view of buildings in Stirling Terrace, Toodyay [picture], retrieved 25 January 2014CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link) Aerial view of buildings in Stirling Terrace, Toodyay. The two buildings linked by a covered walkway are St. John the Baptist Church and St. Aloysius Convent of Mercy. To the right of the convent is the St. Aloysius Convent of Mercy dormitory block with the classroom block in the foreground. On the right is a house originally owned by Dr. Growse.
- Herda, Pavol (November 2013). St John the Baptist Church, Toodyay Jubilee 1963-2013 Golden Jubilee Celebration Mass. St John the Baptist Church, Toodyay.
|This article about a church building or other Christian place of worship in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a Catholic church building is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|