St John the Evangelist's Church, Kirkdale
|St John the Evangelist's Church, Kirkdale|
St John the Evangelist's Church, Kirkdale, from the southwest
|Location||Fountains Road, Kirkdale, Liverpool, Merseyside|
|Website||St John, Kirkdale|
|Heritage designation||Grade II|
|Designated||19 June 1985|
|Architect(s)||J. and B. Sinnott|
|Materials||Stone, slate roof|
|Diocese||Archdiocese of Liverpool|
|Priest(s)||Revd Roy Cooper (since September 1st 2016)|
St John the Evangelist's Church is in Fountains Road, Kirkdale, Liverpool, Merseyside, England. It is an active Roman Catholic parish church in Pastoral Area of Liverpool North, in the Archdiocese of Liverpool. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building.[a]
The church was built in 1885, and designed by J. and B. Sinnott. The north chapel was added in 1927.
St John's is constructed in rock-faced stone, with ashlar bands and dressings, under a slate roof. It consists of a nave and chancel with no structural division, north and south aisles under lean-to roofs, a clerestory, north and south transepts, north and south chapels, a canted baptistry at the west end, and a southwest porch. At the southeast corner is a turret with a belfry, and an octagonal pyramidal roof. The west window of the nave has a five-light window with Geometrical tracery. Along the sides of the aisles are three-light windows, and along the clerestory are two-light windows, all of which are paired between buttresses. The south transept has a five-light window, and the north transept forms the organ loft. The east window has seven lights, and each chapel has a rose window. The porch has a pointed arch and a shaped gable.
Inside the church is a west gallery. The nave has a waggon roof, and four-bay arcades carried on round columns. The chancel arcade has two bays with clustered columns. The reredos is in wrought iron. The altar, dated 1898, was designed by Pugin & Pugin.
References and notes
- This grade is the lowest of the three gradings given to listed buildings and is applied to "buildings of national importance and special interest".
- Liverpool North, Archdiocese of Liverpool, retrieved 27 May 2013
- Historic England, "Church of St John the Evangelist, Fountains Road, Liverpool (1068245)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 27 May 2013
- Listed Buildings, Historic England, retrieved 7 April 2015
- Pollard, Richard; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2006), Lancashire: Liverpool and the South-West, The Buildings of England, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, p. 435, ISBN 0-300-10910-5
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St John the Evangelist's Church, Kirkdale.|