St John the Evangelist's Church, Alvanley
|St John the Evangelist's Church, Alvanley|
St John's Church, Alvanley, from the west
|OS grid reference|
|Website||St John, Alvanley|
|Dedication||John the Evangelist|
|Heritage designation||Grade II|
|Designated||6 December 1985|
|Architect(s)||J. S. Crowther|
Grey slate roofs
|Vicar(s)||Revd Richard Tuckwell|
St John the Evangelist's Church is in the village of Alvanley, Cheshire, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Frodsham. Its benefice is united with that of St John the Evangelist, Manley. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building. It is described by the authors of the Buildings of England series as "a building of some character".
The church is built in red sandstone with gabled grey slate roofs in early Decorated style. Its plan consists of four-bay nave with north and south aisles under separate roofs, and a chancel with a north vestry. On the west end is a corbelled belfry with small steeple containing two bells. The windows contain either Geometric tracery, or Y-tracery. The gables have ornate cross finials.
The arcades are carried on circular piers. The stained glass dates from the early 20th century, and is probably by Shrigley and Hunt. Also in the church is a wooden board giving the list of curates since 1677, and vicars since 1861.
- St John the Evangelist, Alvanley, Church of England, retrieved 15 September 2011
- Historic England, "Church of St John, Alvanley (1330157)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 27 March 2012
- Hartwell, Clare; Hyde, Matthew; Hubbard, Edward; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2011) , Cheshire, The Buildings of England, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, p. 103, ISBN 978-0-300-17043-6
- Morant, Roland W. (1989), Cheshire Churches, Birkenhead: Countyvise, p. 96, ISBN 0-907768-18-0
- Historic England, "Noden tomb 10 metres west of west end of south aisle of Church of St John, Alvanley (1136542)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 27 March 2012
- Historic England, "Griffin tomb 13 metres west of west end of south aisle of Church of St John, Alvanley (1138486)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 27 March 2012
- ALVANLEY (ST. JOHN) CHURCHYARD, Commonwealth War Graves Commission, retrieved 2 February 2013