St John the Evangelist's Church, Toft
|St John the Evangelist's Church, Toft|
St John the Evangelist's Church, Toft, from the south
|OS grid reference|
|Location||Toft Road, Toft, Cheshire|
|Website||St John, Toft|
|Dedication||Saint John the Evangelist|
|Heritage designation||Grade II|
|Designated||28 November 1984|
|Architect(s)||William Gilbee Habershon|
|Materials||Stone, tiled roof|
|Parish||St John the Evangelist, Toft|
|Vicar(s)||Revd Nigel Terence Atkinson|
|Reader(s)||John Roberts, Thain Flowers|
|Churchwarden(s)||Hazel Raw, Val Brooker|
|Parish administrator||Helen Kimber|
St John the Evangelist's Church is in Toft Road, Toft, Cheshire, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Knutsford, the archdeaconry of Macclesfield, and the diocese of Chester. Its benefice is combined with that of St John the Baptist, Knutsford. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building.
The church was built between 1852 and 1855, and designed by William Gilbee Habershon. It was paid for by Mrs Leycester of Toft Hall in memory of her husband. Its chancel was intended for the use of the family, rather than for a choir.
St John's is constructed in rubble stone with ashlar dressings, and has a tiled roof. Its plan consists of a five-bay nave with a southwest porch, a north aisle, a chancel with a northeast vestry, and a southwest steeple. Inside the church the arcade between the nave and the aisle is carried on alternate circular and octagonal piers. Mrs Leycester was French, and commissioned the French artist Antoine Lusson to design the stained glass in the east window and in the other windows in the chancel. These are dated 1853, and consist of quatrefoil scenes. To celebrate the 2000 millennium, more stained glass windows were commissioned for the windows in the north aisle. The two manual pipe organ was built in 1888 by C. Whiteley, and repaired in 1929 by Jardine and Company.
- St John the Evangelist, Toft, Church of England, retrieved 19 March 2012
- Historic England, "Church of St John the Evangelist, Toft (1329782)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 19 March 2012
- Hartwell, Clare; Hyde, Matthew; Hubbard, Edward; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2011) , Cheshire, The Buildings of England, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, p. 643, ISBN 978-0-300-17043-6
- Brief History and Features of the Church, St John's Knutsford, retrieved 19 March 2012
- Cheshire, Toft, St. John the Evangelist (J00055), British Institute of Organ Studies, retrieved 19 March 2012