St Johns Park, New South Wales
|St Johns Park
Sydney, New South Wales
|Location||35 km (22 mi) west of Sydney CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Fairfield|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008)|
St Johns Park is a suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia 35 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government areas of the City of Fairfield. It is part of the Greater Western Sydney region.
St Johns Park was originally home to the Cabrogal people who inhabited the broad Liverpool-Fairfield area. When the First Fleet arrived in Australia, the colonial administration designated this area the parish of St John. Nineteenth century maps indicate a St Johns Farm in the area and it is through this connection that the suburb gained its name.
By the 1890s there was a public school on Parkes Road (now Edensor Road), a post office (opened in 1888), and a growing community, with an unusual number of Italians, who had arrived in the 1880s after the failure of the Marquis de Rays's expedition to New Ireland. The Bellotti and Gava families established vineyards on Bulls Road.
Yugoslav migrants Theodore and Samuel Seravich arrived in 1885, also cultivating wine grapes.
Both the Italian and Yugoslav communities were renewed and expanded during the period of postwar migration in the 1940s, and St Johns Park is still a very multicultural area. Members of the Gava and Seravich families still live in the area. Chicory and wild fennel growing along the banks of Clear Paddock Creek are relics of the early European farmers.
St Johns Park sits beside Clear Paddock Creek which runs along 500m. The 'Restoring the Waters' project, which was the first of its kind in Australia, consisted of the restoration of the concrete channel into a living stream. It took seven years to plan and build and was funded with the assistance of a $1.33 million grant from the NSW State Government through its Stormwater Trust.
- St Johns Park Public School
Places of worship
- St Johns Anglican Church www.smithfieldroad.anglican.asn.au now merged with St James Smithfield
- St Johns Park Baptist Church (Formerly Bible Baptist Church) 
- St Nikola Tavelic Croatian Catholic Church and community centre
- St Hurmizd Assyrian Church Of The East Cathedral
- Buddhist Phap Bao temple
- St Johns Park Bowling Club
- St Johns Park Sports Club (also known as Jadran Hajduk Croatian Club).
- Cardinal Stepinac Village is a retirement hostel and nursing home
- "St Johns Park". Fairfield City Council. Retrieved 12 June 2008.
- Vicki Movizio (2011). "St Johns Park". Dictionary of Sydney. Dictionary of Sydney Trust. Retrieved 2011-12-05+11:00.
- "Restoring the waters". Fairfield City Council. Retrieved 12 June 2008.
- "St Johns Park Baptist Church (Bible Baptist Church)".