St Joseph's College, Nainital
|St. Joseph's College|
|Nainital, Uttarakhand, India|
|Principal||Dr. Peter Emmanuel|
|Colour(s)||Dark blue, green and white|
|Sports||Soccer, cricket, lawn tennis, basketball, swimming, field hockey, track and field, squash, boxing, badminton, softball, gymnastics, table tennis, and billiards|
|Information||+91(5942) 235037, 231185, 238097|
|Houses||Gandhi (St. Peters)
Nehru (St. Francis)
Pant (St. Patricks)
Tagore (St. Pauls)
|Motto (Latin)||Certa Bonum Certamen ('Fight the Good Fight')|
St. Joseph's College Nainital was established in 1888. The site was the location of a seminary, run by the Italian Capuchin Fathers. The seminary later reopened as a Catholic school for boys: St. Joseph's College. The school is still referred to as "SEM" (for Seminary). In 1892 four Christian Brothers took formal charge of St. Joseph's College and thus began the involvement of the Christian Brothers in the running of the school.
St. Joseph's College is one of the 20 educational institutions in India conducted by the Congregation of Christian Brothers, a pontifical institute, founded in Ireland in 1802 by Edmund Ignatius Rice, a wealthy Catholic layman, who was beatified in 1996.
The boys are ages 6 to 18. Roll strength is about 960, with 360 boarders. New admissions are taken only in classes one and three. The school is affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations and prepares students for the ICSE examinations. It has a plus-two section for the ISC examination.
The school is at an altitude of about 2,000 meters above sea level amidst the idyllic surroundings of Kumaon Hills. St. Joseph's focuses on all-round development of students and co-curricular activities are considered equally important with studies.
St. Joseph's has seven playing fields, a gymnasium, lawn tennis, two squash courts, basketball court, billiard tables, and a swimming pool. The school takes part in inter-college events. St. Joseph has football teams (minis, juvies, U-18) that have earned a name for themselves over the years with consistent performance and tournament victories.
St. Joseph's hosts inter-school events: Edmund Rice Meet and Nirip Deep Memorial Soccer Tournament. Events like quizzes, debates, declamations and elocution are held.
You've heard of many a school I trow
And many a college too
But there is one that always is
The best for me 'n you
'Tis perched o'er Naini's lovely lake
And our dads were there of old
For a century and more 'tis known
As the home of the true and bold
'Twas called at first the good old Sem
And later SJC
And a dearer place cannot be found
At least for you and me
Its boys are hard to beat my friends
In classroom, field or fame
Their motto down the years has been
Make sure to play the game
And here's to the boys of SJC
To her children every man
And pass the word to those who'll come
Give the motto of the clan
Adown the years to fight life's fight
To fight it clean and be
Among the boys who've kept the bridge
At dear old SJC
- Major Rajesh Singh Adhikari + - Maha Vir Chakra (Kargil War hero)
- Vice Admiral Rustom K. S. Ghandhi, PVSM, Vir Chakra (Goa war) ^ - # Governor Himachal Pradesh, # Chairman, India Shipping Corporation.
- Commodore (Navy) Gokul Theogaraj
- Commodore (Coast Guards) Amit Bhandari - Principal Director (Aviation)
- Air Marshal Errol D'Noronha ^ - Royal Air Force (U.K)
- Air Marshal K.D.K. (Keith) Lewis PVSM, AVSM, VM, ^ - Indian Air Force
- Air Commodore Kishore Dhami
- Group Captain Ram Kishen (Kaka) +
- Lt. Gen. Gajendra Singh Rawat PVSM, AVSM ^ - # Vice Chief Indian Army
- Lt. Gen. Zameerud-din Shah - Armed Forces Tribunal, # Deputy Chief Indian Army, Vice Chancellor, AMU
- Lt. Gen. D. S. Barthwal - # Director General of Military Intelligence
- Lt. Gen. Shankar Ranjan Ghosh,PVSM,AVSM,SM - General Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Western Command.
- Lt. Gen. Suraj S.J.B Rana - Director General, Health Services, Govt of Nepal.
- Maj. Gen. Gopal Kishen (Guppi) +
- Maj. Gen. Surendra Shah ^
- Maj. Gen. Shiv Jaiswal ^
- Maj. Gen. I. J. S. Bora ^
- Maj. Gen. M.M.Rai ^
- Maj. Gen. J.M. Rai ^
- Maj. Gen. V.K. Joshi ^
- Maj. Gen. Subroto Kundu ^ Army doctor and author
- Major General Anurag Gupta, ex Joint Secretary, NDMA
- Maj Gen Abhay Singh Karki - Commandant, 2 Independent Armored Brigade
- Brig. K. C. Mahajan - Commandant Ordnance Services, 4 Corps, Tezpur
- Brig. Ajay Sah SM - DS Army War College, Mhow
- Brig. D.S. Negi - GOC og 39 Mountain Division
- Brig. Vijay Pande - Addl Dy Gen of Adm & Coord, Army HQ
- Brig. Rakesh Kohli ^ - # Commandant Kumaon Regimental
- Brig. Swatantra Kumar Sapru ^ - # Commandant Kumaon Regimental
- Brig. Vivek Metha ^ - # Deputy Director General, Weapons & Equipment, Army HQ
- Brig. Mukesh Joshi
- Brig. HS Sandhu ^, VSM
- Colonel Rajesh Shah Vir Chakra
- Lt. Col. Rana Roy ^ - editor, old boys' magazine
- Kamal Pande - # Cabinet Secretary, Govt. of India
- Dhirendra Singh - # Home Secretary, Govt. of India
- V. Bhushan - # Secretary, Govt. of India, Posts
- Mukul Pande - # General Manager, Western Railway, Indian Railways
- L.S. Bisht - # Inspector General (Police), Delhi.
- Trilok Nath Perti - General Manager, South Western Railway, Indian Railways
- Vikram Srivastava - Director General of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF)
- Anup Mukherjee - # Chief Secretary, Bihar
- Mukul Joshi - Secretary, Govt. of India, Home Ministry
- Alok Perti - #Secretary, Govt. of India, Ministry of Coal
- Sunjoy Joshi - # Joint Secretary; Energy and Climate change. Chairman, Observer Research Foundation expert
- Hari Raj Kishore - Principal Secretary, Dept of Public Enterprise, U.P
- A. P. Kala - Director General, Central Economic Intelligence Authority
- Sandeep Puri Commissioner Customs Mumbai
- Anil. K. Gupta - C.V.O, Kribhco, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers and Author
- T.K. Shah - Chief Commissioner, Income Tax, Mumbai
- A.K.Singh - Commissioner, Income Tax, Mumbai (Central)
- Amitabh Pandey - IRTS officer: introduced e-ticketing in the Indian Railways
- Tariq Quraishi - Executive Director, Engineering Projects Ltd, Ministry of Heavy Industries
- Ashok Singh Bisht - Director (Personnel), Tehri Hydro Electric Development Corporation, Ministry of Power
- Manoj Joshi - Director (Technical), Engineers India Ltd, Ministry of Petroleum
- Ravi Kochak - CDE, Rail Coach Factory, Indian Railways
- Melville D.J. Gellard - Chief Economic Advisor, European Commission
- K. C. Pant + - # Union minister with Cabinet rank & # Vice Chairman Planning Commission
- Cecil Edward Gibbon, member of the Constituent Assembly of India
- Prof. Rajendra Singh (Rajju Bhayia) + - # Head, Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS)
- Dr. Savit Bhotiwihok - K.G.C (Special Class) Minister to Prime Minister's Office, Thailand.
- K.C. Singh Baba - Member of Parliament, Nainital and # Champion, International Power-lifter
- Kirti Vardhan Singh - Member of Parliament 12th and 14th Lok Sabha
- Kisan Pande - # MLA, Nainital
- F. W. Moore - # MLA, Allahabad
- Jamshed Rahman-# ( JUMBO) CEO (Play2Learn Childcare) Director ( Akbar Management System Services) Owner Financetogether Mortgages. Email: email@example.com
- Peter de Noronha + - philanthropist and civil servant
- Muktesh (Micky) Pant - President, Yum Restaurants International, Yum! Brands, Inc
- Brij Raj Punj - CMD, Fedders and Lloyd
- Alok K. Misra - Chairman and MD, Bank of India
- Neeraj Roy - MD and CEO, Hungama Digital Media Entertainment Pvt. Ltd.
- A. K. Nanda - Chairman and MD, Akme Projects Ltd
- Dr. Burzoe K. Ghandhi - # Corporate Director, Material Management and Manufacturing Engineering, Outboard Marine Corp, USA
- Dhun K. Ghandhi - # Chairman, Rallis Trading Corporation, India
- Ashok Punj - MD, PSL Ltd.
- Anmol Dar - Managing Director, Superbrands, India
- Ajit Singh Gill - CEO, Energy Systems, Santa Clara, USA
- Nippi Kochhar - CEO, Société Générale, India
- Bikram Kochhar - # Country Head, Citibank, Columbia
- Vinit Joshi - Managing Director, Citibank, UK
- Harkirat Singh - # Head, Standard Chartered Bank & Rabobank.
- Larry Malarkar - General Manager, Oberoi Hotels & Director (Marketing)
- Vijay Sharma - Director, Crescent Investments, UK
- Rahul Kansal - CMO, Bennett Coleman & Company Limited
- Mick Hogg - Head, Project Lighting, NSW, Australia
- Suhel Seth - CEO, Equus and Partner Counselage
- Shakti Lumba - Executive Director, Indigo Airlines
- Raymond Noronha - Managing Director, Vazir Sultan Industries, Hyderabad
- Saeed Shervani - MD, Shervani Hospitality Ltd.
- Sergio Freitas - CEO, Betts India Ltd, Goa
- Neeraj Sharma - Managing Director, Kone Elevators, Chennai
- Manvendra Singh Bhandari - Managing Director, Him Furnitech
- Abdus Sattar (Nini) - Chairman, GMG Airlines, Bangladesh
- Purvez Bilimoria - Chief Legal Counsel, PepsiCo International, Australia
- Anant Shekhar Chandola - Director New Businesses, United Colours of Benetton, India
- Jagdish Thackersey - Chairman, Bhatia Hospital, Mumbai
- Anil Pathak - CEO, Paracor Capital Advisors, Chairman Cookie Man, Chairman Peirce & Leslie Travels, Vice-Chairman, PL Worldways
- Ashok K Daga - CEO, Valuefacture Systems Pvt. Ltd; Human Resource Consultant & Trainer
- Rajesh Kapoor MD, Centre for Growth Alternatives, Gurgaon. http://www.cengrow.com
- Jack (Phut) Sexton + - # Dean of Medicine, Aberdeen University.
- Sorab K. Ghandhi - Prof. Emeritus of Electrophysics, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, USA. Author of 180 research papers and four engineering books
- Jamshed K.S. Ghandhi - Prof. Emeritus of Finance, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, USA
- Prof. Peter Ronald deSouza - Director, Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla
- Prof. Dr. Victor Smetacek - Marine biologist, Germany; Scientist NIO
- Prof. Dr. Sunil Saxena - Dept. of Chemistry, University of Pittsburgh, USAll Prof. Alfred Menezes - Dept. of Combinatorics & Optimization, University of Waterloo
- Prof. Dr. Amit Abraham - Principal Scottish Church College Kolkata and Former Head, Post-graduate Dept. of Psychology, St. John's College, Agra and Author
- Prof. Dr. Ranjan Roy - Prof. Dept of Mathematics and Computer Science, Beloit College, USA and Author
- Prof. Atul Dar - Prof. of Economics, Sobey School of Business, SMU, Canada and Author
- Prof. Dr. Anwar Ali + - # Director, Institute of Management Technology, Nagpur
- Arun Sahay - Process Management Expert, Faculty FOSTIIMA
- Mohinder Jankiraman - Noted Wireless Communication expert, Scientist of the year (1985) and Author
- Naseeruddin Shah - Film actor; recipient of Padma Bhushan
- Neelesh Misra - songwriter, journalist and author
- Paritosh Painter - theatre actor, director and film, TV writer.
- Satish Jacob - journalist and writer
- Suhel Seth-Actor
- Manoj Joshi- Editor, Mail Today, Distinguished Fellow, Observer Research Foundation
- Ben J. Pires - journalist and human right activist, Canada
- Kiranjit Singh Rana - MD, Hunter House Publishers, San Francisco, USA
- Enver Masud - founder and CEO, The Wisdom Fund
- Anil Aurora - Promoter, Gaia Schools
- Shawn Arranha - Bollywood Director
- Dr(Surgeon Commander) Kiranjit Singh, Consultant Internal Medicine, Jehangir-Apollo Hospital, Pune, India. Ex Associate Professor, Dept of Medicine, Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune, India
- Cedric D'Souza- # Coach India national field hockey team
- Richard James Allen + - # Goalkeeper India national field hockey team, Olympian
- Ronald Riley - # Center forward Australia national field hockey team, Olympian
- Kevin Carton - # Captain Australia national field hockey team, Olympian
- Freddie Scott - # Hockey player for Great Britain, Olympian
- Trevor Vanderputt - # Rangers Captain and Bengal selector; Director of Coaching, Hockey, Australia
- Noel de Lima Leiato + - All India football commentator and analyst, associated with Vasco SC
- Jim Corbett + - British-Indian hunter, conservationist & author
- Dr. Ashok Daftry - Specialist, Geriatric and Internal Medicine, MD: St. Joseph's Medical Center, USA
- Dr. Sanjay Kalra - Pumlonary and Critical Care Medicine, Mayo Clinic
- Dr. Ravi Roy - Homoeopathic doctor, author of several best sellers in Homoepathy, Germany
- Dr. A.S. Rawat - Recipient of Order of the Golden Ark, Netherlands
- G.S. Bindra - Chairman, Indo-Irish Friendship Council.
- Sajeeb Wazed - Young Global Leaders (World Economic Forum); son of Sheikh Hasina, Bangladesh Premier
- Vijay V Virk - # equitation instructor
# = Former
+ = Deceased
^ = Retired
The school's magnificent buildings have featured in Indian films. The best known, which have won numerous awards, are Masoom (winner of 4 Filmfare awards) and Koi Mil Gaya (winner of 5 Filmfare awards). Films like Krishh and Krishh 3 were shot in SEM too. Others are Himalay Putra, a short documentary titled Mahatma and some music videos.
- "Contact Information". Indian Coast Guard. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- "Leadership In The Indian Army| Book Review By Prashant Dikshit". Ipcs.org. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- "News". Nagalim.nl. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- Henry Soszynski. "Lambjung & Kaski". Uqconnect.net. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- "Kamal Pande takes over as Cabinet Secretary". rediff.com. 2002-11-01. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- "PIB Press Releases". Pib.nic.in. 2003-11-30. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- Indian Railways Institute of Civil Engineering. "Indian Railways Institute of Civil Engineering". Iricen.gov.in. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- "Central Reserve Police Force, Govt. Of India". CRPF. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- "Bihar govt appoints Mukherjee new chief secy, Shankar DGP". The Times of India. 2009-07-28. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
-  Archived March 30, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Ministries, Government of India, Ministry of Coal & Mines". Sarkaritel.com. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- "Corporate of Pradeshiya Industrial & Investment Corporation Uttar Pradesh". Picupindia.com. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
-  Archived April 10, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Engineers India Limited: Private Company Information - BusinessWeek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- A Who's Who of Europe 1977
-  Archived December 4, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Dr. Savit Bhotiwihok". Eppo.go.th. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- "IITKAA - DAA Profile". Iitkalumni.org. Retrieved 2011-04-08.
- Marar, Nandakumar (2010-02-25). "Give Brasa a fair chance, says Cedric D'Souza". The Hindu. Chennai, India.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St Joseph's College, Nainital.|