St Lawrence, Queensland
View along St Lawrence's main street
|Population||396 (2011 census)|
|Elevation||18 m (59 ft)|
St Lawrence is located 802 kilometres (498 mi) north of Brisbane and 6 kilometres (3.7 mi) off the Bruce Highway.The town is located south of St Lawrence Creek, which flows into a vast bay known as Broad Sound, a waterway noted for its large tidal range (up to 9 metres (30 ft) in the summer).
The township of St Lawrence was originally established to maintain the Customs Office for the Port of St Lawrence.
The St Lawrence State School opened on 28 May 1871.
St Lawrence was the administrative centre of the Shire of Broadsound until 2008, when the shire was amalgamated with the Shire of Belyando and the Shire of Nebo to form the Isaac Region local government area. Moranbah is the administrative centre of the new region but the former Broadsound Shire offices at 36 Macartney Street are still used as the local offices of the Isaac Regional Council. The building was described in 2004 as "a disarmingly elegant building which seems quite out of place in this otherwise undistinguished town".
Once a prosperous port town, exporting cattle from the hinterland, most residents are now railway workers.
St Lawrence has a number of heritage-listed sites, including:
- Cannon Street: Christ Church Anglican Church
- Macartney Street: St Lawrence Police Station
- Settlement Road: Meatworks and Wharf Site
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "St Lawrence". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "St Lawrence - town (entry 32101)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "St Lawrence - locality (entry 47035)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 30 December 2015.
- "St Lawrence - Isaac Regional Council". www.isaac.qld.gov.au. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- Queensland Family History Society (2010), Queensland schools past and present (Version 1.01 ed.), Queensland Family History Society, ISBN 978-1-921171-26-0
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (25 October 2007). "St Lawrence (Broadsound Shire) (State Suburb)". 2006 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 25 July 2009.
- "Contact Us - Isaac Regional Council". www.isaac.qld.gov.au. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- "St Lawrence". Sydney Morning Herald. 8 February 2004. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Christ Church Anglican Church (entry 601661)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Police Station and former Courthouse and Cell Block (entry 601152)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Meatworks and Wharf Site (former) (entry 601173)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "2015 School Annual Report" (PDF). St Lawrence State School. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "St Lawrence State School". Education Queensland. Retrieved 2 February 2017.