St Lawrence Church, Morden
|St. Lawrence Church, Morden|
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Bishop(s)||Rt Revd Richard Cheetham|
|Rector||Revd David Heath-Whyte|
|Curate(s)||Revd Precious Omuku|
St Lawrence Church is the Church of England parish church for Morden in the London Borough of Merton. The building is Grade I listed, and located on London Road, at the highest point of Morden, overlooking Morden Park. Morden Parish consists of four churches in total, the other three are Emmanuel (Stonecot Hill), St Martin's (Lower Morden) and St George's (Central Road, Morden). The Team Rector is the Revd David Heath-Whyte, and Revd David Ruddick, and Revd Les Wells are Team Vicars.
There are several services each Sunday, each offering the opportunity to meet and learn together from God's Word, to praise God and pray together. The church website, www.stlawrencechurch.co.uk, has more information about services.
The first church building here was possibly wooden as churches dedicated to St Lawrence were usually Saxon in origin.
The nearby Merton Abbey was closed by Henry VIII as part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries and the estate sold. Edward Whitchurch and Lionel Dutchet bought it, but had to flee to Europe when Queen Mary took over, and the estate went to the Garth family.
The Pulpit has a sounding-board over it for amplification. There is a monument opposite to Elizabeth Gardiner, a benefactor to the first Morden school. There are hatchments hanging from the ceiling, and a large Queen Anne coat of Arms preserved on the south wall with the motto over it Fear God and Honour the Queen!, this is possibly in relation to the Anne's establishment of the Church Commissioners.
The gallery at the back used to have a pipe organ in it, but was originally built for a Sunday School. In the tower are three bells, which can only be tolled, i.e. not swung right over, due to restrictions placed by Historic England on renewing the frame.
Leadership and staff
- The Revd David Heath-Whyte — Team Rector.
- The Rt Revd Precious Omuku — Honorary Curate. Precious is an Assistant Bishop in the Diocese of Southwark, having been consecrated Bishop in South Sudan on 3 January 2016. Precious also holds the roles of Assistant Priest (NSM, London), to The Nigerian Chaplaincy, London and Canon of the Cathedral Church of Christ, Marina, Lagos, Nigeria (December 2012).
- David McCall — Reader at St Lawrence.
- Sue White — Parish Warden for the Morden Team.
- Charles Jeffery — District Warden. Charles is responsible for caring for the church property and overseeing Sunday services.
- Steve Harries — Church Administrator.
- Historic England. "Details from listed building database (1080899)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- See the "Ecclesiae Amicus" (Latin for Friend of the Church) inscription on the gravestone of Richard Garth by the Communion table.
- Daau, John. "Province of South Sudan and Sudan consecrate canon Omuku and assign him the role of international advocacy". The Christian Times, South Sudan. Retrieved 20 April 2016.