St Mary Magdalen Roman Catholic Church, Mortlake
|St Mary Magdalen Roman Catholic Church, Mortlake|
|Location||61 North Worple Way, Mortlake, London SW14 8PR|
|Country||England, United Kingdom|
|Diocese||Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Southwark|
|Priest(s)||Canon Francis Moran|
Sir Richard and Lady Burton
The cemetery includes a Grade II* listed tent-shaped mausoleum of Carrara marble and Forest of Dean stone, containing the tombs of the Victorian explorer Sir Richard Burton (1821–1890) and his wife, Isabel, Lady Burton (née Arundell; 1831–1896), who designed it; she also erected the memorial stained-glass window to Burton, which is next to the lady chapel in the church.
Comte de Vezlo Mausoleum
The cemetery includes another mausoleum, commemorating the very young Comte de Vezlo, Guilaume Henri (1894–1901). A plaque near the mauseolum's entrance also commemorates his mother, Annette Rosamonde Blasio, the Comtesse de Vezlo, who died in 1938. The architect is not known.
Sir James Marshall
Sir James Marshall (1829–1889), a British colonial judge who helped the spread of Roman Catholicism in Ghana and Nigeria, is buried in the churchyard cemetery. His wife Alice (née Young) died in 1926 and is also buried in the churchyard. A memorial plaque inside the church was unveiled on 11 August 1999, 100 years after his death.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St Mary Magdalen, Mortlake.|
- "Welcome to St Mary Magdalen Church Mortlake". St Mary Magdalen Roman Catholic Church Mortlake. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- "The Parish of St. Mary Magdalen, Mortlake: A brief history". About the Church. St Mary Magdalen Roman Catholic Church Mortlake. Retrieved 26 September 2017.
- Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner (1983). The Buildings of England – London 2: South. London: Penguin Books. p. 513. ISBN 0-14-0710-47-7.
- "St Mary Magdalen Roman Catholic Church and Cemetery". Barnes and Mortlake History Society. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Gorman, W Gordon (1910). Written at Covent Garden. Converts to Rome : a biographical list of the more notable converts to the Catholic Church in the United Kingdom during the last sixty years. London: Sands & Co.
- Historic England. "Mausoleum of Sir Richard and Lady Burton, Churchyard of St Mary Magdalen (1065392)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 26 May 2015.
- "About the Church: The Tomb of Sir Richard Burton". St Mary Magdalen Roman Catholic Church Mortlake. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Comte de Vezlo Mausoleum". Heritage of London Trust. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- "De Vezlo Mausoleum". Mausolea and Monuments Trust. Retrieved 29 September 2017.
- "Sir James Marshall". Knights and Ladies of Marshall. Retrieved 17 February 2016.
- MacFarlaine, Iain (20 May 2003). "James Marshall". Find a Grave. Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- "About the Church: Other Features". St Mary Magdalen Roman Catholic Church Mortlake. Retrieved 24 February 2015.
- "Mortlake (St. Mary Magdalen) Roman Catholic Churchyard". Cemetery details. Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "Mortlake (St. Mary Magdalen) Roman Catholic Churchyard". Casualty war records. Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Retrieved 24 February 2015.