St Michael's Catholic School, High Wycombe
|St. Michael's Catholic School|
Daws Hill Lane
|Type||Voluntary aided school, all-through|
|Motto||"Learning in the Light of the Gospel"|
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Department for Education URN||110516 Tables|
|Age||3 to 19|
|Colour(s)||Sky blue |
St Michael's Catholic School is a Catholic all-through voluntary aided school located in High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, England. In 2016 the school had 1124 pupils. It enrols children aged 3 through 19.
In February 2017, it was announced that the school was proposing the creation of a satellite school at the Aylesbury Vale Academy's former site in neighbouring Aylesbury due to lack of space and population increase predictions. If the proposals go ahead, the school is expected to open in September 2018 with a Year 7 intake of 120 students.
Founded in 1973 as St Bernard's Catholic School as a satellite of St Bernard's Catholic Grammar School in Slough, in 2011 it amalgamated with neighbouring Catholic primary school St Augustine's Catholic Primary, creating an all-through school called St Augustine's and St Bernard's Catholic School.
According to the BBC's Domesday Project, in 1986 the school had 840 pupils between the ages of 11 and 16. The buildings were reported to have been 10 years old at the time, in front of extensive playing fields on a site of 17 acres.
In 2011 the school was among 494 schools nationwide praised by the Specialist Schools and Academies Trust for its fast impriovement of GCSE results. The number of pupils receiving five A* – C grades, including in English and Maths, increased from 42 per cent in 2009 to 64 per cent in 2011.
From September 2012 the school stopped being called St Augustine's and St Bernard's Catholic School and is now known by its current name.
In the primary phase there are four houses, named for the Four Evangelists:
In the secondary phase there are also four houses, named for English Catholic martyrs:
- "URN 110516 St Michael's Catholic School". Edubase/DfE. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- "New secondary school for Aylesbury?". Mix 96. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- "Proposed opening of a satellite school by St Michael's Catholic School on the former Quarrendon School site in Aylesbury Town" (PDF). St Michael's Catholic School. February 2017. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 February 2017. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- "Questions and answers on the proposed opening of a satellite school to St Michael's on the former Quarrendon School site in Aylesbury" (PDF). St Michael's Catholic School. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 February 2017. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- "Amalgamation of St Bernard's Catholic School and St Augustine's Catholic Primary School, High Wycombe" (PDF). Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- D-block GB-484000-189000 (1986). "ST BERNARD'S, HIGH WYCOMBE". BBC Domesday Reloaded. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- "Specialist Schools Home". DCSF. September 2008. Retrieved 22 October 2008.
- Dunhill, Lawrence (5 April 2011). "School recognised for improving GCSE results". Bucks Free Press. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- Department for Education Performance Tables 2011
- "St Bernard's and St Augustine's Catholic School". Archived from the original on 18 March 2013.
|This Buckinghamshire school or sixth form college related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|