St Michael's Church, Hulme Walfield
|St Michael's Church, Hulme Walfield|
St Michael's Church, Hulme Walfield, from the north
|OS grid reference|
Hulme Walfield, Cheshire
|Website||St Michael, Hulme Walfield|
|Heritage designation||Grade II|
|Designated||26 March 1987|
|Architect(s)||George Gilbert Scott|
|Materials||Sandstone, pantile roof|
|Vicar(s)||Revd Ian Michael Arch|
St Michael's Church is in Giantswood Lane, Hulme Walfield, Cheshire, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Congleton, the archdeaconry of Macclesfield, and the diocese of Chester. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building. The authors of the Buildings of England series comment that it is "an attractive building, and one for which money must have been spent generously".
The church is constructed in sandstone, and has a 20th-century pantile roof. Its plan consists of a four-bay nave, a north aisle, a northwest porch, a chancel, a southeast vestry, and a northeast organ chamber. On the east gable of the nave is a double bellcote. The porch projects from the second bay on the north side, and has a cross finial on the apex of its gable. Inside the porch are stone benches, and the side walls contain embrasures. In the other bays are two-light windows with trefoil heads containing Geometric tracery. The organ chamber has two lancet windows on the north side, and a two-light window on the east side. The north wall of the chancel also contains a two-light window. The east window has three lights, above which is a canopied niche. Each of the four bays on the south side of the church contains a two-light window with a trefoil head. At the west end are two more two-light windows.
Inside the church, between the nave and the aisle, is a four-bay arcade carried on circular piers with foliate capitals. The chancel arch is richly moulded. The octagonal font dates from the 16th century, and is decorated with blind tracery. The organ was built at an unknown date by Young.
- St Michael, Hulme Walfield, Church of England, retrieved 20 March 2012
- Historic England, "Church of St Michael, Hulme Walfield (1330051)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 20 March 2012
- Hartwell, Clare; Hyde, Matthew; Hubbard, Edward; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2011) , Cheshire, The Buildings of England, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, p. 407, ISBN 978-0-300-17043-6
- Church History, GENUKI, retrieved 20 March 2012
- Cheshire, Hulme Walfield, St. Michael (J00080), British Institute of Organ Studies, retrieved 20 March 2012
- HULME WALFIELD (ST. MICHAEL) CHURCHYARD, Commonwealth War Graves Commission, retrieved 3 February 2013