St Michael on the Mount Without
|St Michael on the Mount Without|
Location within Bristol
|Town or city||Bristol|
St Michael on the Mount Without is a church on St Michael's Hill in Bristol, England, near the University. It has been designated as a grade II* listed building, and is currently as being in poor condition and on the Buildings at Risk Register.
The tower dates from the mid 15th century, however the rest of the church was rebuilt between 1775 and 1777 by Thomas Paty. It has been closed since the 1990s, however plans have been drawn up for the future use of the building and the restoration work required.
The original church on the site was Norman. As it was outside the original city walls it was known as St Michael on the Mount Without. The tower was added in the 15th century. Bells were installed in the tower in 1739. By the 1760s the population of the city and parish had grown requiring expansion of church. A survey by Thomas Paty described the fabric of the old building as "ruinous" and, as a result demolition of everything except the tower was undertaken and it was rebuilt. It has an aisled nave, chancel and north and south porches, along with the older tower in the west.
The church closed in the 1999 due to falling attendances and has been boarded up since then. Some walls are covered in Ivy and in shadow from overgrown trees. Various plans have been put forward for its future use. The Bristol Civic Society is working with the Diocese of Bristol and others to develop a sustainable use for the future. A bid for Heritage Lottery Fund support has been submitted for the first stage of the work.
There was a tradition at the church of distributing large buns known as Tuppenny Starvers to local children on Easter Tuesday. Since the closure of the church this has been continued at the local primary school. The bells are still regularly rung by the University of Bristol Society of Change Ringers (UBSCR).
Parish records for the church of St Michael on the Mount Without, Bristol are held at Bristol Record Office (Ref. P. St M) (online catalogue) including baptism, marriage and burial registers. The archive also includes records of the incumbent, churchwardens, overseer of the Poor, parochial church council, charities, schools, societies and vestry plus deeds, plans, photographs and pictures.
- "Church of St Michael and attached railings". Images of England. Retrieved 2007-03-16.
- "Church of St Michael". Buildings at Risk Register. Retrieved 2007-05-10.
- "St Michael". About Vristol. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "Church of St Michael and attached railings". National Heritage List for England. Historic England. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "Regeneration Projects". Bristol Civic Society. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "St Michael the Archangel on the Mount Without: Prayers to be Answered at Last?". Bristol Buildings Preservation Trust. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "Bristol Tuppenny Starvers". Calender Customs. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
- "University Bristol Society Change Ringers". University Bell Ringing. Retrieved 9 August 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St Michael on the Mount Without, Bristol.|