St Patrick's College, Shorncliffe
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (September 2010)|
|Saint Patrick's College, Shorncliffe|
Latin: Certa Bonum Certamen
("Fight the Good Fight")
|Type||Private, Single-sex and Day|
|Principal||Mr. Christopher Mayes|
|Years offered||Years 5-12|
|Colour(s)||Green and Gold|
|Affiliations||Associated Independent Colleges, Christian Brothers, Combined Independent Colleges|
Park Parade entrance
Established by the Congregation of Christian Brothers in 1952, the college currently enrols approximately 1226 students across eight grades (Years 5 to 12). SPC is one of eight member schools a part of the Associated Independent Colleges (AIC) and also competes in the Combined Independent Colleges (CIC) in the junior school.
St Patrick’s is a member of the Associated Independent Colleges (AIC) and the Combined Independent Colleges (CIC) and participates in both associations’ sporting competitions and events. Students in Year 8 -12 compete in the AIC and Years 5 – 7 in the CIC. Both sporting competitions are conducted across the entire school year and consist of a wide range of sports. The school has had great success in the field of AIC Cross Country with 5 overall Aggregate Premierships (2010,2011,2012,2013, 2014).
2013 was a great year for SPC Football where the 1st XI team was successful in winning the AIC Football premiership. This achievement was a culmination of hard work and determination of a number of years, shown by coaches, teachers and players.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (July 2010)|
- Justice Tony Fitzgerald - chaired Queensland's anti-corruption Inquiry in the late 1980s Fitzgerald Inquiry and several other Inquiries.
- Michael Crocker - NRL, Queensland State of Origin and Australian Kangaroos player
- Drew Mitchell - New South Wales Waratahs / Australian Rugby Union player
- Matt Mitchell - Senior Producer with Today on the Nine Network
- Darren Bowley - Big Brother Australia 2006 contestant
- Cheynee Stiller - AFL Player
- Jayson Bukuya - Rugby league player
- Kyle Noke - Professional Mixed Martial Artist
- Nathan Corbett - W.K.N. Muay Thai Heavyweight World Champion
- Jesse Mogg - Professional Rugby Player For The Wallabies and The ACT Brumbies and
- Brendan Whitecross - AFL Player for the Hawthorn Hawks
- Dylan Napa- NRL Player for the Sydney Roosters
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (June 2010)|
St. Patrick's has a student exchange program with two schools in North America; Vancouver College in Canada and Moeller High School in the United States. Each year the college sponsors two year 11 students to attend each institution. The exchanges are set to coincide with the beginning of each school year, with the outgoing students studying in the tail end of the North American summer (end of term 3 in Brisbane). Incoming students attend St.Patrick's in late January and February. Past exchanges have been to the benefit of each school. On one occasion St. Patrick's students helped the implementation of a house system at Moeller. St. Joseph's College, Gregory Terrace students also travel to Moeller.
Each year a service trip to Eastern India is led by the College Chaplain, Fr. Liam Horsfall, a former Provincial Superior of the Divine Word Missionaries in the region. At first of these trips were more informal, with students handpicked by Fr. Horsfall and little involvement with the school. Today students are also accompanied by other staff members and have extensive school-sponsored fundraising.
|Wikinews has related news: Twelve-year-old schoolboy stabbed, dies in Brisbane, Australia|
On 15 February 2010, twelve-year-old Elliot Fletcher was stabbed in the playground by a thirteen-year-old classmate before dying shortly upon arrival at hospital. The two students found themselves in a quarrel in the playground of the Catholic school.
- List of schools in Queensland
- Associated Independent Colleges
- Combined Independent Colleges
- Private Schools Guide