St Paul's Church, Helsby
|St Paul's Church, Helsby|
St Paul's Church, Helsby, from the south
|OS grid reference|
|Website||St Paul's Helsby|
|Heritage designation||Grade II|
|Designated||6 December 1985|
Douglas and Minshull
Green Westmorland slate roofs
|Parish||St Paul, Helsby|
|Vicar(s)||Revd Margaret Saville|
St Paul's Church is in the village of Helsby, Cheshire, England. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building, and is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Frodsham. Its benefice is combined with that of St Luke, Dunham-on-the-Hill.
The church is built in yellow sandstone with green Westmorland slate roofs. Its plan consists of a five-bay nave, a south aisle, transepts and a polygonal apsidal chancel. The style of the architecture is Early English. Over the west end of the nave is a towerless spire covered in slate. The windows are lancets with simple tracery.
In the churchyard are two structures also listed at Grade II. At the entrance to the churchyard is a lychgate dating from 1911, consisting of an oak frame on low stone plinth. It has a green slate roof that has ornate bargeboards and finials. Inside the churchyard and overlooking the road is a war memorial dating from 1920. This is in sandstone and consists of a Celtic cross decorated with vine patterns and inscribed with the names of those lost in both World Wars. The churchyard also contains the war grave, east of the church, of a Second World War soldier.
- Historic England, "Church of St Paul, Helsby (1253457)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 1 August 2012
- Helsby, St Paul, Church of England, retrieved 9 October 2009
- Hartwell, Clare; Hyde, Matthew; Hubbard, Edward; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2011) , Cheshire, The Buildings of England, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, p. 394, ISBN 978-0-300-17043-6
- Historic England, "Lychgate to St Paul's churchyard, Helsby (1253458)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 16 September 2016
- Historic England, "Helsby War Memorial (1437912)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 16 September 2016
- ELLAMS, LEONARD JAMES, Commonwealth War Graves Commission, retrieved 3 February 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St Paul's Church, Helsby.|