St Peters railway station
Station in December 2006
|Location||Princes Highway, St Peters|
|Operated by||Sydney Trains|
|Distance||3.81 kilometres from Central|
|Platforms||4 (2 island)|
|Opened||15 October 1884|
St Peters station opened on 15 October 1884 as part of the construction of the Illawarra line to Hurstville. The lines through Erskineville were quadruplicated on 15 June 1913 with the current arrangement of platforms. Historically, the station was served by Bankstown, East Hills and Illawarra services, however since the early 1990s it has only been served by the former.
To the west of the station, lies an incomplete island platform. It was originally built in the 1970s as part of the construction of the Eastern Suburbs line when the alignment between Erskineville and Sydenham was expanded to accommodate six tracks. This was abandoned as a cost-cutting exercise. The CityRail Clearways Project envisaged reviving this plan, with stopping trains serving only the newly completed western platforms. However, this project was cancelled in November 2008.
As part of the Sydney Metro project, in 2024 the Bankstown line will be converted to a rapid transit line with a new underground line north of Sydenham that will bypass St Peters. It is proposed that Illawarra services will once again call at the station.
Platforms & services
|1||services to Central & the City Circle|||
|2||services to Lidcombe & Liverpool via Bankstown|||
|3||no regular services||T4 services sometimes stop when the Bankstown Line is closed for trackwork|
|4||no regular services||T4 services sometimes stop when the Bankstown Line is closed for trackwork|
Sydney Buses operate three routes via St Peters station:
- 308: Gresham Street to Marrickville Metro Shopping Centre
- 370: Coogee to Leichhardt Marketplace
- 422: Circular Quay to Kogarah
- Station Information N to Z State Rail Authority 1998
- St Peters Station NSWrail.net
- St Peters Railway Station Group NSW Environment & Heritage
- Mini-Budget 2008/09 page 25 New South Wales Treasury November 2008
- "St Peters upgrade" Railway Digest March 1990 page 93
- "Metro fast rail fail: Illawarra line may have slower journey" St George and Sutherland Shire Leader 25 June 2015
- ”Stops bypassed by Metro Rail” Inner West Courier 30 June 2015
- "T3: Bankstown line timetable" (PDF). Sydney Trains. 20 October 2013 [amended January 2015].
- "Route 308 timetable" (PDF). Sydney Buses. 20 October 2013.
- "Route 370 timetable" (PDF). Sydney Buses. 20 October 2013.
- "Route 422 timetable" (PDF). Sydney Buses. 28 January 2015.
- NightRide bus services Transport Info NSW