St Stephen's Church, Moulton
|St Stephen's Church, Moulton|
St Stephen's Church, Moulton, from the south
|OS grid reference|
|Website||St Stephen, Moulton|
|Dedication||St Stephen the Martyr|
|Consecrated||16 January 1877|
|Heritage designation||Grade II|
|Designated||12 March 1986|
|Materials||Sandstone, slate roof, lead spire|
|Parish||St Stephen the Martyr, Moulton|
|Vicar(s)||Revd Robin Forrester|
|Churchwarden(s)||Grant Davis, Mo Hewitt|
St Stephen's Church is in the village of Moulton, Cheshire, England. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II listed building. and is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Middlewich.
The village developed with the growth of the salt industry in nearby Winsford and it was decided to have a church in the village. The church was designed by John Douglas and the foundation stone was laid in 1876. In 1877 St Stephen's was established as a separate parish and the church was consecrated on 16 January 1877 by Dr William Jacobson, Bishop of Chester.
Architecture and fittings
The church is built in yellow sandstone with red sandstone ashlar dressings and has a green slate roof with a lead spire. Its style is Gothic Revival. The plan of the church consists of a nave and chancel with a north-eastern transept, a south-eastern vestry and a southwest porch. While the exterior is in stone, the interior is built in two kinds of brick. In the church is a plain sedilia. The stained glass in the east window is by J. C. Bewsey. Elsewhere there are windows by Trena Cox, and a millennium window by R. N. Bradley. The organ was built in 1876 by Henry Bevington and Sons.
The vicarage in Jack Lane was also designed by John Douglas and is listed Grade II.
Anglican services are held regularly on Sundays, and baptisms, weddings and funerals are performed in the church. Regular children's and youth activities are also organised.
- Moulton, Streetmap, retrieved 17 January 2011
- Historic England, "Church of St Stephen, Moulton (1310471)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 11 August 2012
- St Stephen's Church, Moulton, Moulton, Church of England, retrieved 17 January 2011
- St Stephen's Church, Moulton, St Stephen's Moulton, retrieved 13 March 2008
- Hubbard, Edward (1991), The Work of John Douglas, London: The Victorian Society, p. 131, ISBN 0-901657-16-6
- Hartwell, Clare; Hyde, Matthew; Hubbard, Edward; Pevsner, Nikolaus (2011) , Cheshire, The Buildings of England, New Haven and London: Yale University Press, pp. 489–490, ISBN 978-0-300-17043-6
- Moulton St. Stephen, British Institute of Organ Studies, retrieved 14 April 2009
- Historic England, "Vicarage, Moulton (1139209)", National Heritage List for England, retrieved 11 August 2012