||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (December 2007)|
|Location||Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia|
|Owner||Permodalan Nasional Bhd|
|Operator||Perbadanan Stadium Merdeka|
|Surface||Grass pitch, track|
|Broke ground||25 September 1956|
|Opened||21 August 1957|
|Architect||Malaysian Public Works Department (JKR)|
|Formerly Selangor FA
Formerly Malaysian national football team
Southeast Asian Games (1965, 1971, 1977)
2013 Asian Youth Para Games
Kuala Lumpur FA
The stadium, operated by Perbadanan Stadium Merdeka, was a venue for many major sporting events prior to its handover to the private company, such as the 1977 Southeast Asian Games and the annual Merdeka Football Tournament (Pesta Bola Merdeka). It also hosted the fight between Muhammad Ali and Joe Bugner on July 1, 1975. It was also used as the venue for concerts, as it is Malaysia's grandest stage for someone to hold a concert here. Although there were many performers who have performed before, but Michael Jackson is the only artist who managed to sell out a concert in Stadium Merdeka.
In 2015, Kuala Lumpur FA play their football in the stadium. The last top level football match was played in October 2001.
Stadium Merdeka was constructed from 25 September 1956 to 21 August 1957. It was the site of one of Malaysia's most historically significant events. On 31 August 1957, power was transferred from the British Empire to the newly independent Malayan government.a Tens of thousands of people crowded into the stadium, which was built specifically for this occasion. While the stadium is an important part of Malaysia's history, it was almost demolished in the late 1990s.
Formerly, the stadium hosted football matches for Selangor FA from 1957 until 1994.
The stadium and its land were given to a private company which had intended to redevelop the land into a RM1 billion entertainment and office complex. In exchange, the company was required to build seven other stadiums in other locations. However, the company did not proceed with the redevelopment due to public outcry and the company's financial difficulties due to the late 1990s Asian economic crisis.
In February 2003, Stadium Merdeka was named a national heritage building.
In 2007, Merdeka Stadium underwent restoration to its original 1957 condition. The 45,000-capacity stadium has been reduced to 20,000, which meant that several of the upper terrace blocks built over the years had to be demolished. The renovations are part of Malaysia’s 50th anniversary plans to relive the moment when Tunku Abdul Rahman proclaimed independence there. The restoration was completed by December 2009.
After 15 years of not organizing any competitive football match, Stadium Merdeka was again used by Kuala Lumpur as the host against Sabah. The last time was used for the Malaysia Cup final in 1999 between Sarawak and Brunei who saw Brunei win 2-1.
Events hosted in the stadium
- Philiac Concert for Peace, May 2011
- 1965 Southeast Asian Peninsular Games
- 1971 Southeast Asian Peninsular Games
- 1977 Southeast Asian Games
- 1989 Southeast Asian Games
- The place where Sabah FA's largest win against Perak FA with the score of 11-0.
- The Merdeka Tournament from 1957 to 1995
- Michael Jackson, History World Tour, 27 and 29 October 1996 (for a total audience of 110,000 people)
- Kelly Chen, Dynacarnival World Tour, 14 December 2002
- Beyond (band), Beyond 20th Anniversary World Tour Live 03, 11 October 2003
- Linkin Park, Meteora World Tour, 15 October 2003
- Faye Wong, No Faye! No Live!, Tour 23 April 2004
- Mariah Carey, Charmbracelet World Tour, 20 February 2004
- My Chemical Romance, The Black Parade World Tour, 9 December 2007
- Backstreet Boys, Unbreakable Tour, 27 February 2008
- Celine Dion, Taking Chances World Tour, 13 April 2008
- Avril Lavigne, The Best Damn Tour, 29 August 2008
- Justin Bieber, My World Tour, 21 April 2011
- Jolin Tsai, Myself World Tour, 11 June 2011
- Avril Lavigne, The Black Star Tour, 18 February 2012
- Leehom Wang, MUSIC-MAN Tour, 3 March 2012
- Jacky Cheung, Jacky Cheung 1/2 Century World Tour, 12 May 2012
- Wonder Girls, Wonder World, 13 October 2012
- Jonas Brothers, Jonas Brothers World Tour 2012/2013, 24 October 2012
- Big Bang, Big Bang Alive Galaxy Tour 2012, 27 October 2012
- Jennifer Lopez, Dance Again World Tour, 2 December 2012
- B.o.B, Far East Movement, Mizz Nina, Watsons Music Festival, 15 December 2012
- Himpunan Kebangkitan Rakyat 2013, #KL112, 12 January 2013
- Albert Effendy, Mari Bercinta Tour, 8 July 2013 (for a total audience of 20 people)
- Metallica, Vacation Tour 2013, 21 August 2013
- Mariah Carey, The Elusive Chanteuse Show, 22 October 2014
- Bon Jovi, Bon Jovi Live!, 19 September 2015
Notes and references
- National Sports Complex. Cuti Malaysia. Retrieved 17 August 2007.
- Lim Kit Siang. Merdeka Stadium and National Stadium - the fifth injustice and disservice in a week to the memory and legacy of Tunku on birthday centenary commemoration - Cabinet and not PNB should designate them national heritage and monuments. DAP Malaysia. 12 February 2003. Retrieved 17 August 2007.
- Win tickets to Mariah Carey’s concert in KL. The Star Online. Retrieved 18 October 2014.