|Town or city||Basel|
Stadtcasino Basel is a concert hall in Basel, Switzerland.
The Casino-Gesellschaft first met in 1808; eventually the society required its own building, and the architect Melchior Berri worked on plans from 1820 to 1822. The original building, on a site between Barfüsserplatz and Steinenberg provided free by the government, was completed in 1826. Notable events held in the original building include the 1892 First Zionist Congress.
In the late 1930s the present Stadtcasino was built on Steinenberg.
From 2000 there was a project to build a new Stadtcasino; although an international competition was held for architects, and a winner was announced, the voters of the canton of Basel-Stadt refused permission in 2007 to proceed with the new building. In 2010 it was proposed to make structural alterations and extensions to the existing building. This is being carried out from 2016 to 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stadtcasino Basel.|
- Tätigkeit Casino-Gesellschaft Basel. Retrieved 6 November 2017.
- The orchestra Sinfonieorchester Basel. Retrieved 6 November 2017.
- Geschichte der Casino-Gesellschaft Casino-Gesellschaft Basel. Retrieved 6 November 2017.
- The Dream of Zion: The Story of the First Zionist Congress, Lawrence J. Epstein
- Allgemeine Informationen Casino-Gesellschaft Basel. Retrieved 6 November 2017.
- Erweiterung Stadtcasino Basel Retrieved 6 November 2017.