|Service type||Bus services|
|Depots||5 (April 2013)|
|Fleet||257 (September 2016)|
In 1983, Bristol Omnibus Company's Gloucestershire based operations were transferred to the Cheltenham & Gloucester Omnibus Company. In 1985 the National Bus Company's Swindon and District operation was transferred to the same company. In 1986, all the assets were transferred to a new legal entity, Western Travel.
In 1986, Western Travel was privatised in a management buyout and in December 1987 purchased Midland Red South. In 1993, Western Travel purchased City Circle of Gloucester before being sold to Stagecoach in November 1993.
In 1988, National Welsh Omnibus Services was privatised in a management buyout. After being placed in receivership in January 1992, the eastern division was purchased by Stagecoach South Wales. After the Western Travel purchase, the Wye & Dean operations were transferred to Stagecoach West.
In more recent years the operation was split into different divisions:
- Stagecoach in Cheltenham
- Stagecoach in the Cotswolds
- Stagecoach in Gloucester
- Stagecoach in Swindon
- Stagecoach in Wye & Dean
More recently all have been combined as Stagecoach West.
Stagecoach West operate five depots:
- Cheltenham (Lansdown Industrial Estate, Gloucester Road)
- Gloucester (London Road)
- Ross On Wye (Great Western Court)
- Stroud (London Road)
- Swindon (Cheyney Manor)
Stagecoach West mainly operates services across Gloucestershire, South Herefordshire, Wiltshire and into South Gloucestershire although some route serve more distant destinations including Hereford, Monmouth, Oxford, Bath and Bristol.
Routes 10 Cheltenham to Lower Tuffley, 66 between Swindon and Oxford, 94 Cheltenham to Gloucester, 63 Forest Green to Gloucester, and 66E/F/Q/S Stroud Stonehouse Waterwells P&R Kingsway to Gloucester and 97/98 Gloucester to Cheltenham are operated as Stagecoach Gold services.
In September 2016 the fleet consisted of 257 buses and coaches.
- Companies House extract company no 2041677 Stagecoach West Limited formerly Western Travel Limited
- Companies House extract company no 1713578 Cheltenham & Gloucester Omnibus Company Limited
- Companies House extract company no 1556310 Midland Red (South) Limited
- Stagecoach acquires Western The Independent 27 November 1993
- Midland Red Depots MidlandRed.net
- Annual Report May 2012 - April 2013 Stagecoach West