|Manufacturer||Stampe et Vertongen|
|Introduction||1947 (Belgian Air Force)|
|Status||Privately owned, or in museums|
|Primary user||French Air Force|
The Stampe et Vertongen SV.4 (also known as the Stampe SV.4 or just Stampe) is a Belgian two-seat trainer/tourer biplane designed and built by Stampe et Vertongen. The aircraft was also built under licence in France and Algeria.
The SV.4 was designed as a biplane tourer/training aircraft in the early 1930s, by Stampe et Vertongen in Antwerp. The first model was the SV.4A, an advanced aerobatic trainer, followed by the SV.4B with redesigned wings and the 130 hp/97 kW de Havilland Gipsy Major.
Only 35 aircraft were built before the company was closed during the Second World War. After the war the successor company Stampe et Renard built a further 65 aircraft between 1948 and 1955 as trainers for the Belgian Air Force.
A licensed SV.4C version was built in France by SNCAN (Société Nationale de Constructions Aéronautiques du Nord), and in Algeria by Atelier Industriel de l'Aéronautique d'Alger, the two firms completing a combined total of 940 aircraft. The postwar SV.4Cs were widely used by French military units as a primary trainer. Many also served in aero clubs in France, numbers of which were later sold second hand to the United Kingdom and other countries.
- aerobatic trainer with 140 hp/104 kW Renault 4-PO5 engine
- improved version with 130 hp/97 kW de Havilland Gipsy Major I. Postwar trainers for the BAF were fitted with more powerful Cirrus Major or Gipsy Major X
- licence-built version with 140 hp/104 kW Renault 4-Pei engine
- one aircraft re-engined with 175 hp/130 kW Mathis engine
A few SV.4s have been fitted with other engines, such as the Lycoming O-320, Ranger 6 or LOM 332b. At least one aircraft fitted with a Lycoming engine (OO-KAT) has been referred to by its owners as an SV.4E.
- Royal Air Force
Specifications (Post-War SV.4B)
Data from Factory drawings and 
- Crew: one-two
- Length: 6.80 m (22 ft 4 in)
- Wingspan: 8.385 m (27 ft 6 in)
- Height: 2.775 m (9 ft 1 in)
- Wing area: 18.06 m² (194.4 ft²)
- Empty weight: 520 kg (1146 lb)
- Max. takeoff weight: 770 kg (1697 lb)
- Powerplant: 1 × de Havilland Gipsy Major X or Blackburn Cirrus Major III, 145 hp (108 kW)
- Maximum speed: 101 knots (188 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 75 knots (140 km/h)
- Range: 420 km (260 statute miles)
- Service ceiling: 20,000 ft (6,000 m)
- Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
- Related lists
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stampe SV.4.|
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Aircraft (Part Work 1982-1985). Orbis Publishing.
- Pacco, John. "Stampe & Vertongen SV-4B" Belgisch Leger/Armee Belge: Het Militair Vliegwezen/l'Aeronautique Militaire 1930-1940. Aartselaar, Belgium, 2003, pp. 85–86. ISBN 90-801136-6-2.