Stan Calvert Cup
|Stan Calvert Cup|
|Location(s)||Newcastle upon Tyne and Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, UK|
|Northumbria University (current holder)|
The Stan Calvert Cup, formally known as the Stan Calvert Memorial Cup, is an annual varsity contest that takes place in Newcastle upon Tyne between the universities of Newcastle and Northumbria formerly in December and February, now in March.
It is named for Stan Calvert, a man from nearby Alnwick, who became involved with sport at the University of Newcastle in the early 1960s and was the university's first Director of Sport from 1981.
The competition does not take place in a single sporting event but rather over 1200 competitors in more than 70 teams compete against each other in 26 different sports, the winning university is determined by whose team won the most events. The competition has taken place every year since its formation in 1994. The current rules that determine the nature of the competition were signed by both universities in 2009.
Since 1994, Newcastle University has won the cup 13 times and Northumbria has won 8 times. There have also been 2 draws. In 2013 Team Newcastle ensured the Stan Calvert Memorial Trophy was retained for an unprecedented 6th consecutive year. For the first time in seven years, Northumbria University reclaimed the trophy from Newcastle University and are the current holders of the cup after a heroic effort to retain the cup for the first time in their history, winning by their biggest margin ever in the process, before repeating the feat for a third time in 2016.
- "Newcastle's Stan Calvert supremacy smashed". The Courier. 20 March 2014. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- "Stan Calvert | Team Northumbria | NU Sport Central". nusportcentral.com. Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "Hat-trick Of Stan Calvert Wins Tastes Sweet | News | NU Sport Central". nusportcentral.com. Retrieved 2016-05-12.
- "Magnificent Record-breaking victory". Newcastle University. 2010-03-01. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- "Magnificent Treble for Team Newcastle". Newcastle University. 2010-03-01. Retrieved 2010-03-01.
- "Newsflash: Newcastle retain Stan Calvert Cup". Newcastle University. 2009-02-26. Retrieved 2009-02-26.
- Official Stan Calvert Cup Website
- Stan Calvert Cup at Newcastle University
- Stan Calvert Cup at Northumbria University
|This sports award or trophy-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|