Stan Getz & Bill Evans
|Stan Getz & Bill Evans|
|Studio album by Stan Getz & Bill Evans|
|Recorded||May 5, 1964 (#4-6, 9-10)
May 6, 1964 (#1-3, 7-8, 11)
Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey
|Length||38:15 (LP); 61:43 (CD reissue)|
|Bill Evans chronology|
|Stan Getz chronology|
Cover of the 1988 CD reissue
Stan Getz & Bill Evans is an album by jazz saxophonist Stan Getz and pianist Bill Evans recorded in 1964 for the Verve label, but not released until 1973 as V6-8833. It was also released in 1974 as Previously Unreleased Recordings (MV 2087).
The Allmusic review by Ken Dryden awarded the album 4 stars and states: "It is peculiar that Verve shelved the results for over a decade before issuing any of the music, though it may have been felt that Getz and Evans hadn't had enough time to achieve the desired chemistry, though there are memorable moments."
- "Night and Day" (Cole Porter) - 6:45
- "But Beautiful (Johnny Burke, Jimmy Van Heusen) - 4:41
- "Funkallero" (Bill Evans) - 6:40
- "My Heart Stood Still" (Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers) - 8:37
- "Melinda" (Burton Lane, Alan Jay Lerner) - 5:04
- "Grandfather's Waltz" (Lasse Farnlof, Gene Lees) - 6:28
Bonus tracks on CD reissue:
- "Carpetbagger's Theme" (Elmer Bernstein) - 1:47
- "WNEW (Theme Song)" (Larry Green) - 2:50
- "My Heart Stood Still" [Alternate Take] - 6:45
- "Grandfather's Waltz" [Alternate Take] - 5:32
- "Night and Day" [Alternate Take] - 6:34
- Stan Getz - tenor saxophone
- Bill Evans - piano
- Richard Davis - bass (tracks 4-6, 9 & 10)
- Ron Carter - bass (tracks 1-3, 7, 8 & 11)
- Elvin Jones - drums
- "Stan Getz & Bill Evans – Previously Unreleased Recordings" at Discogs.
- Bill Evans discography, accessed March 18, 2010,
- Dryden, K. Allmusic Review, accessed March 18, 2010.
|This 1970s jazz album-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|